Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > More on Safari and asp:Menu

More on Safari and asp:Menu

Mark Rae

Hi,

Sorry for the repost - my ISP is having huge usenet problems at the
moment...

Following on with the problems of asp:Menu controls and Safari, I found the
following article:
http://weblogs.asp.net/dannychen/arc...21/431121.aspx

Very interesting - I'll be examining some of the suggested workarounds
later.

However, the article mentions that the "bugs" (if that's indeed what they
are) in the asp:Menu control are in the process of being fixed. Can anyone
confirm that and, if so, is there an anticipated timeframe for the fix?

It's the old cross-browser / cross-platform dilemma again...

Safari accounts for approximately 2% of the world's browsers, so why even
bother with it?
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/browser.php

It's only available on MacOS which represents approximately 3% of the
world's operating systems surfing the net, so why even bother with it?
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/May/os.php

Most Mac users will probably be so tired of the sites they visit with it not
working properly that they'll probably have installed FireFox anyway (which
renders asp:Menu and other webcontrols perfectly), so why bother with it?

Problem is, I have a reasonably important client who uses it and loves it -
he's read somewhere that it's the safest browser available and is the only
one to conform to some standard or other, therefore the problem is mine not
Safari's...

I have (some) sympathy with this, and I don't want to lose the work...
However, I'm finding that I'm probably spending as much time testing and
re-tweaking stuff just to get it to display properly on Safari as I am for
all other platforms and browsers put together!

As always, very interested in other people's experiences in this area.

Mark

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

only your site stats matter. no one knows the true numbers. see:

http://www.mywebsite.force9.co.uk/

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...