Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Archiving Cisco configs w/ SNMP?

Archiving Cisco configs w/ SNMP?

gkg@gmx.de

For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command ...

Tnx, -gg

Walter Roberson

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477...igs_snmp.shtml
--
Disobey all self-referential sentences!

Terry Baranski

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:26:04 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
>set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
>history information on the changes).

I'd use RANCID for this before using SNMP.
http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

-Terry

Targa

Kiwi Cat Tools does a good job of this.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#cattools

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:boga1s$6rj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
> set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
> history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
> netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
> tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
> use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
> COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
> enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
> while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
> when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command

> Tnx, -gg

Targa

Kiwi Cat Tools does a good job of this.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#cattools

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:boga1s$6rj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
> set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
> history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
> netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
> tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
> use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
> COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
> enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
> while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
> when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command

> Tnx, -gg

wineguyatl@hotmail.com

One key word... free! <G> But CaTTools 2.0x is a great product.

http://www.netlatency.com/utilities.html

WrNet
Use this utility to save your router's running-config to a TFTP
server. If you automate this with the Windows NT/2000 scheduler, you
can get regular backups of your router configuration.

WrTFTP
Use this utility to save your Cisco Catalyst (Kalpana) switch's
configuration to a TFTP server. If you automate this with the Windows
NT/2000 scheduler, you can get regular backups of your switch
configuration

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<boga1s$6rj$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
> set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
> history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
> netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
> tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
> use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
> COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
> enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
> while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
> when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command ...
>
> Tnx, -gg

pi1220

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> One key word... free! <G> But CaTTools 2.0x is a great product.
>
> http://www.netlatency.com/utilities.html
>
> WrNet
> Use this utility to save your router's running-config to a TFTP
> server. If you automate this with the Windows NT/2000 scheduler, you
> can get regular backups of your router configuration.
>
> WrTFTP
> Use this utility to save your Cisco Catalyst (Kalpana) switch's
> configuration to a TFTP server. If you automate this with the Windows
> NT/2000 scheduler, you can get regular backups of your switch
> configuration

Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
these are killing me..

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<boga1s$6rj$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > For the sake of keeping backups of current router configs, I'd like to
> > set up some script that automatically stores configs (and, via RCS, keep
> > history information on the changes). Currently, I'm using a
> > netcat-script to get the current config, which works. I've just seen a
> > tool by Solarwinds that allows reading and updating the config, through
> > use of a TFTP server ... it says something about "copying through
> > COPYMIB" or so - couldn't get any info though on how it works by
> > enabling the SNMP debug on the router ... Any idea? The netcat-approach,
> > while working, isn't really that satisfying, as it sometimes gets stuck
> > when a router either is not reachable, or fails during the show-command ...
> >
> > Tnx, -gg

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
pi1220 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
:trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
:through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
:I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
:SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
:these are killing me..

Perhaps your 3550's and 3548's use the new style of SNMP. Please see

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477...igs_snmp.shtml
--
So you found your solution
What will be your last contribution?

wineguyatl@hotmail.com

Make sure your SNMP lines don't have any "@" in the strings. I have
found that having an "at" sign "@" in SNMP community strings screws up
snmp gets for many things. If you don't have an "@" in your string,
might be worth an email to the

Wait, you said WRTFTP, not WRNET?

The 3550/48's use IOS not CATALYST IOS. The WRTFTP is for _catalyst
based IOS on the 4000,5000,6000,6500. You know the REAL switch ios.

Try doing a Set vlan 41 2/1-47 on the 3550 with that crappy switch
IOS.

You can't, it takes visiting each interface and putting the old
switchport access vlan x comand 50 times... unless something new has
developed.

You need to run WRNET on those boxes. WRNET is for routers, but since
the CAT 2900/3500 use a "switch" version of the IOS that is very
"router like" it should work. I have wrnet copying configs for
2900/3500's with no problems

> Actually a great utility except for one thing I'm having alot of
> trouble getting my 3550s and 3548s to back up using WRTFTP. I went
> through there read me files and add the SNMP info but still nothing.
> I've tried both WRtftp and WRnet but I get ERROR community string or
> SNMP error.. My routers and 6509 and 4000 were a piece of cake but
> these are killing me..

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:The 3550/48's use IOS not CATALYST IOS. The WRTFTP is for _catalyst
:based IOS on the 4000,5000,6000,6500. You know the REAL switch ios.

:Try doing a Set vlan 41 2/1-47 on the 3550 with that crappy switch
:IOS.

:You can't, it takes visiting each interface and putting the old
:switchport access vlan x comand 50 times... unless something new has
:developed.

You mean something new like the "interface range" selector ?
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...#xtocid1630812

According to the Command Reference, this has existed since 12.1(4)EA1
which was the very first release that supported the 3550 at all.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...b.html#1861863
--
Admit it -- you peeked ahead to find out how this message ends!