Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Foreign Languages?

Foreign Languages?

UJ

How do folks handle foreign languages? For instance - we would like to be
able to have a screen at the front of our app that will allow somebody to
choose French and then the entire site is in French.

What's the easiest way to do this? Have lookups for each text string on the
site or is there a better way?

TIA - Jeff.

Mark Rae

"UJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> How do folks handle foreign languages? For instance - we would like to be
> able to have a screen at the front of our app that will allow somebody to
> choose French and then the entire site is in French.
>
> What's the easiest way to do this? Have lookups for each text string on
> the site or is there a better way?

This is known as localisation, and the best way to do it is to use resource
files:

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

this will depend on the type of site. some common appraoches

1) string lookup, usually a resource in asp.net
2) xlst transation
3) parallel sites. this is pretty common, as the layout oftens needs to be
very different for each language, especially if the site is content heavy.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"UJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do folks handle foreign languages? For instance - we would like to be
> able to have a screen at the front of our app that will allow somebody to
> choose French and then the entire site is in French.
>
> What's the easiest way to do this? Have lookups for each text string on
> the site or is there a better way?
>
> TIA - Jeff.

Juan T. Llibre

I'd advise you to post your Localization questions
in the Localization forum of the ASP.NET Forums.

There's many people discussing that particular issue there :

http://forums.asp.net/151/ShowForum.aspx

Even if you only *read* through the already-posted messages,
you'll get quite a few tips to implement what you have in mind.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/