Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Assemblies can be loaded from "/Temporary ASP.NET Files/..." but not from "/bin"

Assemblies can be loaded from "/Temporary ASP.NET Files/..." but not from "/bin"

Boris

We have some .NET 1.1 DLLs which we want to use in a ASP.NET 1.1 web page
(actually one is a real .NET DLL in Managed C++ while the others are native
Windows DLLs). First we copied all of the DLLs to /bin. However when we do
this we get a configuration error. When we copy the DLLs to "/Temporary
ASP.NET Files/..." everything works. Does anyone know what could be the
reason that the DLLs can be loaded from the temporary files but not from
bin?

Here's the configuration error message:

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name Foo, or one of its dependencies,
was not found.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Foo
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/t
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: Foo
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/t/adf9cc0a/918f3e87/Foo.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/t/adf9cc0a/918f3e87/Foo/Foo.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/t/bin/Foo.DLL.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: Foo, Version=1.0.2355.30881, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=null

Thanks in advance,
Boris

Boris

Boris wrote:
> We have some .NET 1.1 DLLs which we want to use in a ASP.NET 1.1 web
> page (actually one is a real .NET DLL in Managed C++ while the others
> are native Windows DLLs). First we copied all of the DLLs to /bin.

Okay, found the answer: Unmanaged code must not be deployed to /bin but to
any directory in PATH.

Boris