Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > bridge / layer 2 switch / layer 3 switch

Joel M. Baldwin

Ok, so a Bridge and a Layer 2 switch are the same because they're both
switching based on the layer 2 MAC address.

And a Layer 3 switch is really a router because it's routing/switching
based on the layer 3 IP address. A Layer 3 switch has more ports than a
router and has more/all of the routing in hardware instead of software.

So the question I'm really wanting answered is:

Will a layer 3 Cisco 3750 switch do layer 2 switching out of the box?
I'd like to drop one into our network to replace a 3508G layer2 switch
without having to totally reconfigure the existing network. If it'll do
layer2 I can configure the layer3 stuff latter.

ADVthaAnksNCE

Walter Roberson

In article <Xns942B96DF3782Fqumqatsoutelorg@66.250.146.150> ,
Joel M. Baldwin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:So the question I'm really wanting answered is:

:Will a layer 3 Cisco 3750 switch do layer 2 switching out of the box?
:I'd like to drop one into our network to replace a 3508G layer2 switch
:without having to totally reconfigure the existing network. If it'll do
:layer2 I can configure the layer3 stuff latter.

Yes, by default it's a switch.
Putting it into routing mode requires using the 'no switchport' command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d.html#3827350

"By default, all interfaces are in Layer 2 mode."
-- Rich Kulawiec

Scooby

Well, that is if you want to change one port to router mode. What I do is
use the 'ip routing command' which will make the whole box function as a
switch with routing capabilities. Then, you can creat vlans, each with
their own ip and the box will route. It also will pass the appropriate
routing protocols as well.

news:boejrd$2ru$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Xns942B96DF3782Fqumqatsoutelorg@66.250.146.150> ,
> Joel M. Baldwin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :So the question I'm really wanting answered is:
>
> :Will a layer 3 Cisco 3750 switch do layer 2 switching out of the box?
> :I'd like to drop one into our network to replace a 3508G layer2 switch
> :without having to totally reconfigure the existing network. If it'll do
> :layer2 I can configure the layer3 stuff latter.
>
> Yes, by default it's a switch.
> Putting it into routing mode requires using the 'no switchport' command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...s_command_refe
rence_chapter09186a008017f8ed.html#3827350