Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > chatting application with asp.net

chatting application with asp.net

Reny

Can any one guide me on creating a chatting app with asp.net /vb.net

Bruno Alexandre

the best way to implement a Chat is using Java or Flash, bacause they
profile a refresh textbox that you are refreshing every second and the user
wont notice that!

but using asp.net you can start bilding a Shared Class and have there the
value from the chat window, Shared Class contains variables that are shared
amontg all users in the same page (independent of browser/os/whatever) and
off course that you can always go further using atlas and a gridview, atlas
has a nice feuture that is you can refresh part of the page only using
time... for example every 5 seconds...

Atlas: http://atlas.asp.net

give it a try and when you have more question post it here

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Københanv, Danmark)

"Reny" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:O3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can any one guide me on creating a chatting app with asp.net /vb.net

vMike

"Reny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can any one guide me on creating a chatting app with asp.net /vb.net

Basic structure is you need to have the chat page and the admin page refresh
and you need a method to detect new/change conversations and you need to
store them on the server while you are having the conversation. I wrote a
small chat at the used the cache to detect new chats and xml files to store
the chats. I never really used it much, it was just a challenge of sorts but
it worked. Would be happy to share it with you if you email me direct. It
was written back with 1.1 but I never updated. You may need to tweak it a
bit.

Mike