Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Changing from CatOS to IOS on 6509 (SUP)?

Reply
Thread Tools

Changing from CatOS to IOS on 6509 (SUP)?

 
 
Thomas Novin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
Hey all.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.

I am (ofcourse) already running IOS on the MSFC2.

# sh ver
WS-C6509 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.3(1)
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 by Cisco Systems
NMP S/W compiled on Jul 8 2002, 16:10:20

System Bootstrap Version: 7.1(1)

Hardware Version: 3.0 Model: WS-C6509

-------------------------------------------

# sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E6, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 17-Apr-03 19:46 by hqluong
Image text-base: 0x40008C00, data-base: 0x4187E000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(11r)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E6, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)


Thomas.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
In article <boec73$1e7aif$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hey all.
>
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
> 6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.
>
> I am (ofcourse) already running IOS on the MSFC2.


There are a few features that are only supported in one OS or the
other, but in general, there is no reason (other than that) to stay
with CatOS. More than 50% of the new 6500 are now shipping with IOS,
although Cisco will support and continue to enhance CatOS for the
foreseeable suture.

You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
pretty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements. CCO
has a lot of doc on converting (either way), and also on the way the
conceptual view of the device changes when you convert.

/Chris, UCLA
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Roberson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Chris Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
retty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
:MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements.

I would imagine that the handling of VLANs must change a fair bit?
I hope they found some method better than BVI interfaces; I
always found BVI ugly to use on the C2948G-L3.
--
Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!
-- Supertramp (The USENET Song)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Beck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Chris Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
> retty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
> :MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements.
>
> I would imagine that the handling of VLANs must change a fair bit?
> I hope they found some method better than BVI interfaces; I
> always found BVI ugly to use on the C2948G-L3.


;->

BVI time is finally over. The integrated IOS on 65xxs (as well as the
one on 45xx SupIVs) feels exactly like the one on 3550s and 3750s:
You have "vlan database", you have VTP, you have physical interfaces
that you can either "switchport" or not, and you have "vlan N" logical
L3 interfaces into the VLANs (EtherSVIs).

Configuring them is a pleasure compared to the 2948G-L3/4908G-L3 way
of doing things with bridge-groups, subinterfaces and BVIs. This is
of course just a different view of the same underlying concept, but
the "Switch IOS" (as I've decided to call it) makes things more
consistent over different plattforms. Be it 2950, 3550, 3750 or the
big irons, even the good old 35xxXLs - the way of configuring them is
essentially the same with small specialties (like the 2950 not having
any ISL support and thus lacking commands like "switchport trunk
encapsulation"). So for me, the basic reason to not even touch CatOS
and use integrated IOS on the 65xx is simply consistence - the other
(smaller) switches in the net are running Swicth IOS, too. Except for
the L3s... Cisco would have done us a favor supplying a Switch
IOS load for the abovementioned creatures (that are AFAIR essentially
standalone versions of 8500 series blades) - but AFAIK they didn't.

As this breaks things like VTP (never try VTP pruning when a VTP
transparent switch is in your way), this is really a bad thing. I
wouldn't even mind if they traded the old L3s in against the matching
3550s...

--
The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration
or "how to turn a complete illusion into a neverending money source"

-> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
In article <boec73$1e7aif$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Thomas Novin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
> 6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.


Read the instructions on www.cisco.com VERY carefully. There's a
twenty-something step procedure for the upgrade. There's also a config
convertor to turn your CatOS config into the corresponding IOS config
but it's, erm, not entirely comprehensive. You can't paste in a config
greater than 32K (ours were much larger, though that may be a browser
limit), it doesn't convert all commands and it gets some conversions
wrong - check it carefully.

Sam Wilson
Infrastructure Services Division
Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Novin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2003
The tool can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support...catcfg_xlat.pl

And for configs over 32K, it allows you to upload the entire file.

Sam Wilson wrote:
> Read the instructions on www.cisco.com VERY carefully. There's a
> twenty-something step procedure for the upgrade. There's also a config
> convertor to turn your CatOS config into the corresponding IOS config
> but it's, erm, not entirely comprehensive. You can't paste in a config
> greater than 32K (ours were much larger, though that may be a browser
> limit), it doesn't convert all commands and it gets some conversions
> wrong - check it carefully.
>
> Sam Wilson
> Infrastructure Services Division
> Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
> Edinburgh, Scotland, UK



--
--
Thomas Novin (E-Mail Removed) http://xyz.pp.se/~thnov/
V: +46 (0)431 445400 F: +46 (0)431 445410 GSM: +46 (0)730 667425
--

 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2003
In article <bp1vue$1jp0mc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Thomas Novin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The tool can be found here:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support...catcfg_xlat.pl
>
> And for configs over 32K, it allows you to upload the entire file.


It says it does - two of us here have never managed to get any output
out of it using a range of OSs and browsers. We ended up cutting out
what we believed (hoped!) to be irrelevant from the full configs to get
them under 32K and then pasted them in.

Sam
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade 6509 from CATOs to IOS Tom Cisco 4 02-28-2008 10:32 AM
CatOS to IOS? Calvin.Lai@shaw.ca Cisco 5 10-10-2005 09:35 PM
Downgrade 6509 w/ Sup720 to CatOS rossella@chemeketa.edu Cisco 1 03-12-2005 07:50 AM
CatOS to IOS command translation Martin Roy Cisco 2 05-10-2004 04:55 PM
CATos or IOS for sup.720 NNTP Cisco 3 04-30-2004 02:23 PM



Advertisments