Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Putting small switch on 3560's port

Putting small switch on 3560's port

Fabio C.

Hi everyone,
just a simple question: I'm running out of interfaces on a 3560 and
what I need is just adding a bunch of servers in the same VLAN.

Can I connect a small unmanaged switch (10p), connect there the machines
and put the 3560's port in vlan access mode?

The network cards would not support VLAN tagging (they are DRAC cards
from DELL servers), so they will send untagged packets. Would them be
able to connect to the other machines in the same VLAN that are
configured with the linux dot1q driver (so they send/received tagged
traffic)?

If not, can I configure the switch to tag all the frames coming from the
DRAC cards?

Thanks,
Fabio

Doug McIntyre

"Fabio C." <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> just a simple question: I'm running out of interfaces on a 3560 and
>what I need is just adding a bunch of servers in the same VLAN.

>Can I connect a small unmanaged switch (10p), connect there the machines
>and put the 3560's port in vlan access mode?

Sure, no problem there. You'll create a 100Mbps bottleneck, but if
the bandwidth isn't needed, this happens all the time in networks.

>The network cards would not support VLAN tagging (they are DRAC cards
>from DELL servers), so they will send untagged packets. Would them be
>able to connect to the other machines in the same VLAN that are
>configured with the linux dot1q driver (so they send/received tagged
>traffic)?

>If not, can I configure the switch to tag all the frames coming from the
>DRAC cards?

They'll be fine. You'll just be doing stock layer-2 switching,
something very standard. The hardest part (depending on the hardware
of your small switch) might be finding a cross-over cable to hook the
two switches together with (if the small switch doesn't support auto-mdi-mdi/x)

It won't care about the rest of your network, and if you trunk into a
server or not.