Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Remote Access or Branch Office Solution Needed

Remote Access or Branch Office Solution Needed

melickas@yahoo.com

We are looking for the best recommendation for the following situation
for sharing files on our server across a WAN. In Building A (call it
BA), our server is Windows 2003 Standard Edition and it has (1) network

card with (3) XP client computers and is a DC. We access the Internet
via a cable connection. We do not currently have a Static IP address
from our ISP. We have text documents & a database file for a program we

use on the clients located on this server. We want to access these
documents and database file from Building B (call it BB) which is (2-3)

blocks away from BA and has (3) XP workstations, without a server,
currently sharing a cable Internet connection The workstations in BB
run the same programs (software is installed locally) as those in BA,
but need access to the database file and documents in BA.

We are familiar with setting up VPNs using SBS2000 and remotely
accessing workstations on a network using RDC. However, there may be
occasion where users in BA will be using their computers and we would
not want to permit a RDC to those PCs just in order run the approriate
software or open shared documents.

What hardware,setup would be required in BA and BB to configure this
remote/WAN access?
What are the latest,greatest technology options to accomplish this?

We are assuming a Static IP in BA, adding another NIC (to isolate
internal network from external) and new router with VPN support are
necessary?

Question: Would it be necessary for both sites to have a Static IP?
Any recommendations on reading about Branch office setups?

Thank you!

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Small Business Network Designer:

http://64.224.10.185/sbnd/child/1.0/index.asp

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm

Merv

Sounds like something a couple of Cisco Linksys VPN routers could handle

www.BradReese.Com

Cisco does have a Branch Office Solution web page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns...s_package.html

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Repair

melickas@yahoo.com

Thanks for the reply.
Does this mean that workers at the "branch office" would be added to
the domain, and login as if they were in the same building? Meaning
they would not use Remote Desktop?
Does a VPN require Static IP from ISP for both locations or just one?

Would you recommend a second NIC on the server?

Thanks!

Merv wrote:
> Sounds like something a couple of Cisco Linksys VPN routers could handle

www.BradReese.Com

It would be helpful to directly call Cisco Pre-Sales Support
1-800-745-7381 in the USA or Canada between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. EST

Additionally, you may reach Cisco Pre-Sales Support at 800-553-6387,
option 2, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Cisco Pre-Sales Support Email:

http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/PAGContactUs.jsp

International Cisco Pre-Sales Support Phone and Email:

http://www.cisco.com/now/international/directory.html

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Technical Forums
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-technical-newsgroups.htm

melickas@yahoo.com

Thank you for the reply..however just looking for a simple answer from
someone on what "interface" we would be using to connect to the main
building--that is, what would it be like...would it be just like you
were on a "regular" network and would not have to use RDC?