Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Router with 2 ethernet ports

Router with 2 ethernet ports

Nathan

Hi,

Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of
route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better
job.

Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and have
both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from there.

Thanks

Nathan

Doug McIntyre

"Nathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
>connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
>miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

Cisco has a ton of them, and most are modular to add a number of
ports (well at least as many ports as the slots will hold).

You don't really say how much bandwidth you need, but you imply that
you really would need 3 ethernet ports. One to come in, two to go out.
2811 with an HWIC would probably be your lowest end one of the current
lineup. One that is particularly cheap would be a 7200 with the
appropriate PA cards.

>All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

Those must be the smallest ones then..

>We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of
>route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better
>job.

>Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and have
>both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from there.

Depends on the situation, and the requirements for the solution. I'd
tend to push for a firewall that has enough output ports in the first
place, but usually any routers are done for other requirements behind
a firewall, such as private WAN links back and forth.

Doug McIntyre

Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>"Nathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
>>connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
>>miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.

>Cisco has a ton of them, and most are modular to add a number of
>ports (well at least as many ports as the slots will hold).

>You don't really say how much bandwidth you need, but you imply that
>you really would need 3 ethernet ports. One to come in, two to go out.
>2811 with an HWIC would probably be your lowest end one of the current
>lineup. One that is particularly cheap would be a 7200 with the
>appropriate PA cards.

That was supposed to be particularly cheap used... Generally 7200 new
aren't exactly cheap.

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Nathan,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/index.jsp

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm

BernieM

"Nathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ve0ng.14980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
> connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
> miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.
>
> All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.
>
> We do have a PIX on site and we have used VLANs and PIXs before to kind of
> route between the 2 subnets but I thought a proper router will do a better
> job.
>
> Or would you just use a low end router with a single ethernet port and
> have both subnets assigned to the single interface and then route from
> there.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nathan

You can fill all available slots of a router with multiport Ethernet modules
if want to. Of course you have to be conscious of the routers packets per
second (PPS) switching capabilities.

We've just commissioned our first BSDL service which the Telco presents as
an Ethernet interface so there's an example of us needing to use an
Ethernet-to-Ethernet router right there.

BernieM

anybody43@hotmail.com

> "Nathan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ve0ng.14980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a router available that has 2 ethernet ports so each port can
> > connect to its own ethernet segment. I suppose similar to RRAS on a
> > miltihomed Windows box, but this would be hardware based.
> >
> > All the routers I see have 1 ethernet port and serial ports.

You can get a router with anywhere from 1 to over 1000
ethernet ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8017376e.html
"Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 10/100BASE-TX modules scale from 16 ports
up to 1152 ports"
Such a device might cost say 150k USD.

It is not usual to configure such a device as a 1000 port router
and I am not in fact sure that you can give them all seperate
addersses each on their own network/subnet but my guess
would be that you could indeed do so.

A while back a Cisco router was limited to 255 virtual
+ physical interfaces but IIRC that limit was removed
some years ago.