Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Value of Cisco training/certs

Value of Cisco training/certs

none

I have a slightly different question, especially geared to those who
have MCSEs and CCNA. A little re-assurance or reality check would help,
especially being in the "Show-Me" state of Missouri.

I enrolled in the local Cisco Academy for this fall. I have 2 rather
under utilized NT4.0 and Win2k MCSEs, an A+ and 3 MOS certifications.
Currently, I work at a call center. I am hoping as I approach 40 this
February, that the CCNA and possible CCNP will help me break out of my
mold, and actually aid in making more money, especially to legitimate
the vast amounts I have spent already. Yes, I was one of those folks who
got involved in computer work in 1999 for the cash, until the bottom
fell out. Now, I figure it's time to fully succeed with the Cisco stuff
and subsequent job prospects, or come up with a new career plan. I
don't feel great about this path, but my friends who have taken some of
the classes urge me on, saying it should help vastly.

Has anyone out there had under-utilized skills or certifications, but
found that Cisco certifications improved their lot? Is it possible to
actually find a job, preferably day-shift because Cisco really helped to
increase skillset and marketability?
Any feedback in this news group would be helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks ,
David