Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Switch Bootloader vs bootflash:

Switch Bootloader vs bootflash:

ciscortp@hotmail.com

On a system with 2 MSFC2s there is an option to set the image via "set
system flash bootflash:<image name>"

there is also a "boot bootloader" option

I don't know the difference between the two. Some of the switches have
both the bootflash and the bootloader statements, while others have
only the bootflash statement.

When I perform a "show version" on the switch that only has the
bootflash command, the image name shows up twice.

When I peform a "show version" on the switch that has both the
bootflash and bootloader statements, the bootflash image shows up 1st
and the bootloader image version shows up second.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two and whether both are
needed.

Thanks

SAto

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) skrev:
> On a system with 2 MSFC2s there is an option to set the image via "set
> system flash bootflash:<image name>"

the system flash bootflash:<image name> is the actual software running
on the switch.

> there is also a "boot bootloader" option

the boot loader is the software that boots the system software or the
boot helper.

> I don't know the difference between the two. Some of the switches have
> both the bootflash and the bootloader statements, while others have
> only the bootflash statement.

Running IOS on msfc2 does not require the boot helper but I think CatOS
does.

-SAto