Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > How's the fault tolerance when mounting a drive as a folder?

How's the fault tolerance when mounting a drive as a folder?

Dandelion

A new drive can be mounted as a folder on another drive in XP or
2003. If one of the drive becomes bad, would the data on the
other drive be lost too?

In other words, do XP and 2003 make sure not splitting and
putting a big file in two drives?

Wayne McGlinn

inline ...

"Dandelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4495d4c1$0$2027$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A new drive can be mounted as a folder on another drive in XP or
> 2003.

Correct

>If one of the drive becomes bad, would the data on the
> other drive be lost too?

No. Creating a mount point does *not* "span" or "stripe" a drive, it simply
allows a drive to appear as a folder in Explorer.

> In other words, do XP and 2003 make sure not splitting and
> putting a big file in two drives?

Lost me here, sorry. If you place a file into the folder (the mount point
created above) then it resides on that drive only. Yes, you can see it by
going to c:\{mounted drive name} but it physically exists on the second hard
drive.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver

get most common number in a list with tolerance Astan Chee Python 0 02-20-2009 08:50 AM
RMI, fault tolerance and load balancing without tomcat apm35@student.open.ac.uk Java 11 02-19-2008 05:08 PM
TIBCO EMS Fault Tolerance Vijay Bajwa Java 0 06-12-2007 09:11 PM
YAML::Syck fault tolerance Phlip Ruby 2 01-21-2007 04:42 PM
Asterisk and fault tolerance & embedded solutions. Charles Hizark VOIP 1 03-05-2004 09:38 AM

Advertisments