Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Frigging Power Management

Frigging Power Management

LoopBack

> Hope you don't have a fscking Dull Uninspiron with Intel 845 graphics.
>
> In fact, your notebook better have a monster video card and a gig of RAM,
> at least. Vista is the worst memory hog I've ever had the misfortune to
> play with. Hopefully this latest beta will be better. I've got it sitting
> at home, but I don't have a machine to load it on.
>
> --
> JaR
> MCNGP #22
> Remove hat to reply
> Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

It's a 1.7GHz vaio laptop with an nvidia 6200... not got my hopes up
though. When I installed XP onto it, with nothing else, it ran so
sweet. It was lightning quick. Then I installed SP2. Then I
installed Norton antivirus (. Then I installed office ((

I remember when I moved from a 286 running 25MHz with 4Mb to a 450MHz
Pentium III, with 128Mb of ram. That was the biz, then I installed XP
(((((((((((((((((((((((((

--
LoopBack
MCNGP #52

JaR

"LoopBack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1150387788.247101.55460
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> It's a 1.7GHz vaio laptop with an nvidia 6200... not got my hopes up
> though.

I tried installing one of the first builds of Vista on the aforementioned
Dull. It's a 2.2Ghz Celeron with 768 Megs of RAM. It took a couple of hours
to install, and then I could't get the video to work. Then I found out that
neither MS nor Dell was gonna be writing drivers for the Intel 845 video
chipsets that are in those Ispirons. Maybe I'll win a lottery or something
and be able to buy a new lappy like the Rev's and put Vista on it

--
JaR
MCNGP #22
Remove hat to reply
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

JaR

"LoopBack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1150387788.247101.55460
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> It's a 1.7GHz vaio laptop with an nvidia 6200... not got my hopes up
> though.

I tried installing one of the first builds of Vista on the aforementioned
Dull. It's a 2.2Ghz Celeron with 768 Megs of RAM. It took a couple of hours
to install, and then I could't get the video to work. Then I found out that
neither MS nor Dell was gonna be writing drivers for the Intel 845 video
chipsets that are in those Ispirons. Maybe I'll win a lottery or something
and be able to buy a new lappy like the Rev's and put Vista on it

--
JaR
MCNGP #22
Remove hat to reply
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Neil

did you hear "MitchS" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent you.
> It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!

I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz 64Mb Ram,
4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Does a sysop have to call himself to read his mail?

Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns97E383CE1AE8Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

>> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
>> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
>>

> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz 64Mb
> Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of RAM
and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl 12"
monochrome monitor for it

--
JaR
MCNGP #22
Remove hat to reply
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

JaR

Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns97E383CE1AE8Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

>> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
>> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
>>

> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz 64Mb
> Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of RAM
and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl 12"
monochrome monitor for it

--
JaR
MCNGP #22
Remove hat to reply
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Neil

did you hear JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:Xns97E36CB44645Fonlyifabsolutelynece@207.46.2 48.16:

> Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:Xns97E383CE1AE8Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:
>
>>> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
>>> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
>>>

>> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz
>> 64Mb Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

> Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of
> RAM and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl
> 12" monochrome monitor for it

I WILL NOT DIG OUT MY CHOPAQ PORTABLE DUAL FLOUPY JUST TO MAKE YOU
HAPPY!! (it has a lovely AST 6pak card in it)

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Shh! I have to use my incomplete, divided attention here.

Neil

did you hear JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:Xns97E36CB44645Fonlyifabsolutelynece@207.46.2 48.16:

> Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:Xns97E383CE1AE8Aneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:
>
>>> I've got an extra PIII 500 128 MB of RAM and 32 mb video I'll rent
>>> you. It's even got a 10 Gig HDD. High speed screamin machine!
>>>

>> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz
>> 64Mb Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

> Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of
> RAM and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl
> 12" monochrome monitor for it

I WILL NOT DIG OUT MY CHOPAQ PORTABLE DUAL FLOUPY JUST TO MAKE YOU
HAPPY!! (it has a lovely AST 6pak card in it)

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Shh! I have to use my incomplete, divided attention here.

JaR

Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns97E3957F28573neilmcsegmailcom@
207.46.248.16:

>>> I will see your POS and raise you my Acer PowerMate P2 MMX 233Mhz
>>> 64Mb Ram, 4Gb HDD and SHARED VIDEO!

>> Oh crap, if we're going backwards, I've still got a 486 with 8 megs of
>> RAM and 640 meg hard drive that runs just fine. Even got the way kewl
>> 12" monochrome monitor for it
>>

> I WILL NOT DIG OUT MY CHOPAQ PORTABLE DUAL FLOUPY JUST TO MAKE YOU
> HAPPY!! (it has a lovely AST 6pak card in it)

I woulda had you beat, but my first computer got chopped up for firewood
one night when it got real cold and the mainspring froze and we couldn't
afford more kerosene for the monitor anyway. Back in those days we useta
have to carve our own RAM outta big hunks of silicon that were dug up and
shipped in from that there valley in California, and we ripped our
floppies outta a Sears catalog.