Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Newbie Question: Pre-populating the Command Line History Buffer

Newbie Question: Pre-populating the Command Line History Buffer

CJ Morton

OK - I admit it. I'm lazy! Basically, my question is this:

I have created a VBScript that will automatically log me in with my User ID
and password to any of our routers and switches. The next thing I want to
do is pre-populate the command line history buffer with commands that I use
most often. That way, I don't have to type them, just arrow up or down.

Can this be done?

CJ

Walter Roberson

In article <3fa6c1e5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
CJ Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:OK - I admit it. I'm lazy! Basically, my question is this:

:I have created a VBScript that will automatically log me in with my User ID
:and password to any of our routers and switches. The next thing I want to
:do is pre-populate the command line history buffer with commands that I use
:most often. That way, I don't have to type them, just arrow up or down.

:Can this be done?

You might be able to send some of them as comments, and then to
execute them you would recall the commented commend and delete the
comment symbol.

I would tend to doubt that you could put raw commands in the buffer
without having them executed. I wouldn't want to say it was
impossible, as who knows what hidden SNMP OIDs there are around, but
it seems *unlikely*.
--
I've been working on a kernel
All the livelong night.

CJ Morton

Walter,
Thanks for the info. My standby way of doing it was to send the commands,
hit enter, and then quickly send a Ctrl+Z or Ctrl+E and go on to the next
one.

Thanks!

CJ

news:bo6hc6$a3l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3fa6c1e5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> CJ Morton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :OK - I admit it. I'm lazy! Basically, my question is this:
>
> :I have created a VBScript that will automatically log me in with my User

ID
> :and password to any of our routers and switches. The next thing I want

> :do is pre-populate the command line history buffer with commands that I

use
> :most often. That way, I don't have to type them, just arrow up or down.
>
> :Can this be done?
>
> You might be able to send some of them as comments, and then to
> execute them you would recall the commented commend and delete the
> comment symbol.
>
> I would tend to doubt that you could put raw commands in the buffer
> without having them executed. I wouldn't want to say it was
> impossible, as who knows what hidden SNMP OIDs there are around, but
> it seems *unlikely*.
> --
> I've been working on a kernel
> All the livelong night.
> I've been working on a kernel
> And it still won't work quite right. -- J. Benson & J. Doll

Scooby

Better yet, why not use aliases?

for example, type the following commands....
conf t
alias exec siib show ip interface brief
end

now, when you type in siib, you will get the output of show ip interface
brief. Make yourself a bunch of acronyms for all your fav commands.
Probably will be less keystrokes to run each one than scrolling up through
the history.

news:3fa6ce66$(E-Mail Removed)...