Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX501 - bandwidth query?

PIX501 - bandwidth query?

Paul Hutchings

We have a PIX 501 on a 512kbps leased line, it has a couple of machines
behind it (one being our proxy server) and it lets traffic in to around a
dozen websites.

The ruleset is tiny (real basic allow http/smtp in/out stuff) and CPU usage
averages 1 or 2%.

We may be moving to a faster line, probably 2mbps, the cisco docs say the
501 supports up to 60mbps clear-text throughput, but I figure this is in
"ideal world" conditions.

That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net

Hugo Drax

"Paul Hutchings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9428BEAF7DB7Apaulhutchingsspamcop@130.133. 1.4...
> We have a PIX 501 on a 512kbps leased line, it has a couple of machines
> behind it (one being our proxy server) and it lets traffic in to around a
> dozen websites.
>
> The ruleset is tiny (real basic allow http/smtp in/out stuff) and CPU

usage
> averages 1 or 2%.
>
> We may be moving to a faster line, probably 2mbps, the cisco docs say the
> 501 supports up to 60mbps clear-text throughput, but I figure this is in
> "ideal world" conditions.
>
> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
>
> regards
> Paul
> --
> paul <at> spamcop.net

for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

Paul Hutchings

"Hugo Drax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bo6cvp$1897sp$1@ID-
155262.news.uni-berlin.de:

>> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
>>
>> regards
>> Paul
>> --
>> paul <at> spamcop.net

> for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

that's what i figured, my boss raised it as a "should we budget x for an
uprated firewall if we up our bandwidth" question - thought I'd ask the
real world than solely trust the cisco specs

regards
Paul
--

news:Xns9428D07117353paulhutchingsspamcop@130.133. 1.4...

> 155262.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> >> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
> >>
> >> regards
> >> Paul
> >> --
> >> paul <at> spamcop.net

> > for normal traffic it will not break a sweat.

> that's what i figured, my boss raised it as a "should we budget x for an
> uprated firewall if we up our bandwidth" question - thought I'd ask the
> real world than solely trust the cisco specs
>
> regards
> Paul
> --
> paul <at> spamcop.net

yeah I would say you can do about 10 mbit using a realife standard traffic
mix so you have a pretty large burst capacity. The next level would be a pix
506e which would do about 60-70 mbit reallife traffic but thats overkill

Johnny Bravo

Paul Hutchings <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns9428BEAF7DB7Apaulhutchingsspamcop@130.133 .1.4>...
> We have a PIX 501 on a 512kbps leased line, it has a couple of machines
> behind it (one being our proxy server) and it lets traffic in to around a
> dozen websites.
>
> The ruleset is tiny (real basic allow http/smtp in/out stuff) and CPU usage
> averages 1 or 2%.
>
> We may be moving to a faster line, probably 2mbps, the cisco docs say the
> 501 supports up to 60mbps clear-text throughput, but I figure this is in
> "ideal world" conditions.
>
> That said, am I right in thinking it'll handle 2mbps with no problem?
>
> regards
> Paul

I'll make it easy for you. It will handle your 2Mbps line just fine.
Also, don't be shy about adding new services to your PIX. You have
room before you bug it down.

Johnny