Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Limit FTP using Custom Queueing

Limit FTP using Custom Queueing

dnocito

I need to setup custom queueing on our router. We have customer FTPing
file to our website and saturating most of our T1 bandwidth. I would
like FTP go to its own queue, www to go to another queue, and the rest
go to a default queue.

I am setting this custom queue on the external interface on our router
(T1).

My first attempt was the following just to see if I can get the
packets in the right queue:

access-list 100 permit tcp any eq ftp any
access-list 100 permit tcp any eq ftp-data any
access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq ftp
access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data

access-list 101 permit tcp any eq www any
access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq www

queue-list 1 protocol ip 0 list 100
queue-list 1 protocol ip 1 list 101
queue-list 1 protocol ip 2

queue-list 1 default 2

queue-list 1 queue 0 byte-count 1500 limit 20
queue-list 1 queue 1 byte-count 1500 limit 20
queue-list 1 queue 2 byte-count 1500 limit 20

When I do an FTP and HTTP file download at the same time. HTTP file
download does not trasfer and times out. But doing an HTTP transfer
by itself works fine.

If i set the max queue limit to 1 like the following, it seems to
split the bandwidth 50/50:

queue-list 1 queue 0 byte-count 1500 limit 1
queue-list 1 queue 1 byte-count 1500 limit 1
queue-list 1 queue 2 byte-count 1500 limit 20

Can someone explain to me what the limit means and how it works.

Thanks in advance.