Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > JavaScript does not work in Firefox

JavaScript does not work in Firefox

minnesotti

Hi there,

I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
(however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.

Els

minnesotti wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
> on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
> work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
> clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

[snip]

It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
problems there are.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Els wrote:
> minnesotti wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
> > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
> > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
> > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

> [snip]
>
> It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
> problems there are.

The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

minnesotti

minnesotti wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> minnesotti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
>>> on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
>>> work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
>>> clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

>> [snip]
>>
>> It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
>> problems there are.

> The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
> there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
> mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
> box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
> messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
> a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

When I go there, everything is working, and the JavaScript console
gives no errors, warnings or anything.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

minnesotti wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> minnesotti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
>>> on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
>>> work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
>>> clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and

>> [snip]
>>
>> It may help if you give the URL, so that people can check what
>> problems there are.

> The picture-hosting website is http://www.zenfolio.com/ . When I go
> there, no button work and no images are displayed. Oh, I did not
> mention in the previous posting that I checked the "JavaScript Enable"
> box in the Options menu. The JavaScript Console gives the error
> messages: "Error: event is not defined", "Error: dom.attachEvent is not
> a function" and "Error: this.domEvent has no properties". Thanks.

When I go there, everything is working, and the JavaScript console
gives no errors, warnings or anything.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

SteveG

minnesotti wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
> on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
> work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
> clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
> could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
> there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
> not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
> Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
> using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
> JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
> viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
> JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
> picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
> re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
> (however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
> latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
> check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
> be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
> like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
> please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.
>
> ..

Hi minnesota, I've just looked at the URL you are talking about and
everything works fine for me. I too have ZA as a firewall (although I
use the Internet Suite rather than Pro) so I don't think that's your
problem.

Have you enabled Java and Javascript in Firefox? You can find the
setting in tools/options/content.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G

SteveG

SteveG wrote:
> minnesotti wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I subscribed to a photographic pictures-hosting website which is heavy
> > on JavaScript. My preferred latest browser Mozilla Firefox does not
> > work with it -- no pictures are displayed and no buttons react to
> > clicking. The website's helpdesk says it should work with Firefox, and
> > could not offer any more advices. The JavaScript Console shows that
> > there are numerous errors occuring. It looks like the web browser does
> > not recognise JavaScript code. When viewing the website with Internet
> > Explorer, JavaScript code works al'right and the website works. I am
> > using ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall... I heard it might clip the
> > JavaScript code. When I turned ZAPro off, the website still was not
> > viewable. I viewed the website through anonymizer which re-wrote
> > JavaScript code... and surprise-surprise... I could view the
> > picture-hosting website. I would hypothesize that the anonymizer
> > re-writes the JavaScript code to the old code understandable by Firefox
> > (however, the website helpdesk claims that their website works with
> > latest Firefox, and I could not find any other computer with Firefox to
> > check if the problem is only with my computer). Or, there might still
> > be something running on my computer which clips the JavaScript code
> > like ZAPro which probably still runs even after turning it off. Help me
> > please, with the suggestion of possible causes. Thanks.
> >
> > ..
> >

> Hi minnesota, I've just looked at the URL you are talking about and
> everything works fine for me. I too have ZA as a firewall (although I
> use the Internet Suite rather than Pro) so I don't think that's your
> problem.
>
> Have you enabled Java and Javascript in Firefox? You can find the
> setting in tools/options/content.

Hi Els and SteveG,

I have enabled Java and JavaScript (and everything else) in Firefox. At
some stage, I have installed Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.3 on my
computer to run a particular program, and that particular website
cannot run with JavaScript from JRE1.3. However, when I am checking my
web browser with the http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.aspx?bhcp=1 , it
says that my browser is using Sun's Java vesion 1.4.2 which is
acceptable for the picture-hosting website. I tried to uninstall Sun's
JRE 1.3 (and left untouched JRE 1.4.2), but it gives no effect.

I went to the "Control Panel" on my MS Windows XP SP1, and saw there
"Java Plug-in" both from MS ("Virtual Machine") and from Sun. I clicked
on Sun's (?) "Java Plug-in" and saw that the box for only "Internet
Explorer" box is checked to make it using the Java Plug-in. I checked
the box next to "Mozilla" to nake it using the Java Plug-in, but the
window popped up saying that the computer was "Unable to change browser
settings". I made a search on the Internet to learn how to manage this
problem. This indeed was a common problem, but no cure was offered.

This was when I wrote to this Usenet group.