Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > need help finding my profile folder

need help finding my profile folder

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com

I'm upgrading my OS to Winxp from Win98, by doing a dual boot with a
fresh winxp partition and freshly installed apps, and then copying
settings over from the win98 partition.

Problem is, I can't find my win98 firefox profile folder to copy over.
The default location appears to contain a 5 year old netscape profile.

My current ff installation on the win98 partition was upgraded from
win95 and netscape years ago, so I probably put the profile folder in
some weird location.

The profile still exists, because I can still boot into win98 and run
firefox fine. I don't see any folder info in about:config, and the
profilemanager allows me to create, rename, or delete, but I can't get
details on my "default" profile.

So where can I find the location of my currently active firefox
profile? Is there a file that is unique to a profile folder that I can
do a windows search for?

-MVL

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

> I'm upgrading my OS to Winxp from Win98, by doing a dual boot with a
> fresh winxp partition and freshly installed apps, and then copying
> settings over from the win98 partition.
>
> Problem is, I can't find my win98 firefox profile folder to copy over.
> The default location appears to contain a 5 year old netscape profile.
>
> My current ff installation on the win98 partition was upgraded from
> win95 and netscape years ago, so I probably put the profile folder in
> some weird location.
>
> The profile still exists, because I can still boot into win98 and run
> firefox fine. I don't see any folder info in about:config, and the
> profilemanager allows me to create, rename, or delete, but I can't get
> details on my "default" profile.
>
> So where can I find the location of my currently active firefox
> profile? Is there a file that is unique to a profile folder that I can
> do a windows search for?
>
> -MVL

Standard Profile locations
Windows 95/98/ME C:\Windows\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\
Windows 95/98/Me, alternate
C:\Windows\Profiles\<Windows login/user name>\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

If you dont find the profile there,
Do a search for bookmarkbackups and bookmarks.html
or a folder named extensions
you will find them in the Firefox profile. If you have multiple copies,
simply check where each is, one will be in the Firefox profile

Mozilla Champion (Dan)