Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can't move FF Bookmarks

Can't move FF Bookmarks

Porter Smith

I recently installed FF (1.5.0.4) for the first time on a new PC (Windows
XP Pro). I exported the bookmarks from another PC and imported them here.

When I go into Manage Bookmarks, I can drag and drop a bookmark from one
folder to another, but if I want to change a bookmark's position within a
folder, nothing happens. I can drag it to the new location, but when I
release the mouse button, nothing happens. All bookmarks remain in
alphabetical order.

Works OK on the original PC.

Is there some switch I need to flip to get thsi to work?

Thanks

Mumia W.

Porter Smith wrote:
> I recently installed FF (1.5.0.4) for the first time on a new PC (Windows
> XP Pro). I exported the bookmarks from another PC and imported them here.
>
> When I go into Manage Bookmarks, I can drag and drop a bookmark from one
> folder to another, but if I want to change a bookmark's position within a
> folder, nothing happens. I can drag it to the new location, but when I
> release the mouse button, nothing happens. All bookmarks remain in
> alphabetical order.
>
> Works OK on the original PC.
>
> Is there some switch I need to flip to get thsi to work?

You probably chose to sort your bookmarks by clicking
on one of the column headers. This is indicated by a
little arrow on one of the headers.

Just keep clicking the column header (with the arrow on
it) until the arrow disappears. This returns the
bookmark items into an unsorted state, and thus allows
you to move them.

> Thanks

You're welcome.

Mumia W.

Porter Smith wrote:
> I recently installed FF (1.5.0.4) for the first time on a new PC (Windows
> XP Pro). I exported the bookmarks from another PC and imported them here.
>
> When I go into Manage Bookmarks, I can drag and drop a bookmark from one
> folder to another, but if I want to change a bookmark's position within a
> folder, nothing happens. I can drag it to the new location, but when I
> release the mouse button, nothing happens. All bookmarks remain in
> alphabetical order.
>
> Works OK on the original PC.
>
> Is there some switch I need to flip to get thsi to work?

You probably chose to sort your bookmarks by clicking
on one of the column headers. This is indicated by a
little arrow on one of the headers.

Just keep clicking the column header (with the arrow on
it) until the arrow disappears. This returns the
bookmark items into an unsorted state, and thus allows
you to move them.

> Thanks

You're welcome.

Porter Smith

"Mumia W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:WhRsg.6285$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> Porter Smith wrote:
>> I recently installed FF (1.5.0.4) for the first time on a new PC
>> (Windows XP Pro). I exported the bookmarks from another PC and
>> imported them here.
>>
>> When I go into Manage Bookmarks, I can drag and drop a bookmark from
>> one folder to another, but if I want to change a bookmark's position
>> within a folder, nothing happens. I can drag it to the new location,
>> but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens. All bookmarks
>> remain in alphabetical order.
>>
>> Works OK on the original PC.
>>
>> Is there some switch I need to flip to get thsi to work?
>>

> You probably chose to sort your bookmarks by clicking
> on one of the column headers. This is indicated by a
> little arrow on one of the headers.
>
> Just keep clicking the column header (with the arrow on
> it) until the arrow disappears. This returns the
> bookmark items into an unsorted state, and thus allows
> you to move them.
>

>> Thanks
>>

> You're welcome.

Aha. Once I unsorted them, all the moves I have made magically appeared.
Thanks.