Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can TBird handle 30,000+ emails effectively?

Can TBird handle 30,000+ emails effectively?

Dan

My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?

TIA

Dan

gwtc

Dan wrote:

> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>
> TIA
>
> Dan

each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.

Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . happy hour is a nap.

gwtc

Dan wrote:

> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>
> TIA
>
> Dan

each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.

Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . happy hour is a nap.

David Harrison

gwtc wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
>> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
>> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dan

> each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
>
> Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
compacting notwithstanding.

cheers,

David H

David Harrison

David Harrison wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Dan wrote:
>>

>>>My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
>>>order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
>>>handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Dan

>>each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
>>
>>Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
>>

> Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
> sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
> compacting notwithstanding.
>
> cheers,
>
> David H

per folder
each folder

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you're on vacation, and
your energy runs out before your money does.

gwtc

David Harrison wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Dan wrote:
>>

>>>My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
>>>order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
>>>handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Dan

>>each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
>>
>>Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
>>

> Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
> sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
> compacting notwithstanding.
>
> cheers,
>
> David H

per folder
each folder

--

gwtc wrote:
> David Harrison wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
>>>
>>> Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
>>>

>> Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
>> sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
>> compacting notwithstanding.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> David H

> per folder
> each folder

Thanks. I should have read your initial post more closely -- I blame
weird working hours

David Harrison

gwtc wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
>> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
>> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dan

> each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
>
> Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

Thanks for the reply. 4 gig seems like a healthy amount, I'm still
wondering though if there's any problem with a large total NUMBER of
emails, in terms of searching, displaying lists of
subject/date/sender/etc., even if they don't exceed (or even approach) a
total file size of 4 gig. In investigating this I found something a bit
odd; I run tbird 1.5.0.4. I have two email accounts which are
subscribed to listservs. All listserv post go into junk mail via the
junk mail controls. I retain them there, but I send them to junk
automatically to get them out of the inbox. Looking at the directory
that holds the emails in docs & settings, I see that although the
inboxes when viewed in TBird are EMPTY, these listserv postings are
stored in BOTH the JUNK files AND the INBOX files. Again, they DO NOT
APPEAR in the inboxes when it is viewed in TBird. This seems pretty
wasteful. I guess the obvious answer is to set up a separate folder to
transfer the posts to, still it seems like a weird way for TBird to
handle the junk folder contents. This only seems to be the case for
mail which is not removed from the junk folder.

Dan