Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox and Java downloads

Firefox and Java downloads

observer20@gmail.com

I've got a question about the Java Runtime Environment program. I've
never paid much attention to it in the past, but I know it is an
important plug-in for Firefox. I always thought there was one version
of Java for Windows that would work with all browsers.

Yet if I visit the Java download home page, version 5 update 7 for
Internet Explorer is listed. If I visit the Firefox plug-in page, it
lists Java version 5 update 1. Is it really necessary to install both
versions for both browsers to use Java?

gwtc

> I've got a question about the Java Runtime Environment program. I've
> never paid much attention to it in the past, but I know it is an
> important plug-in for Firefox. I always thought there was one version
> of Java for Windows that would work with all browsers.
>
> Yet if I visit the Java download home page, version 5 update 7 for
> Internet Explorer is listed. If I visit the Firefox plug-in page, it
> lists Java version 5 update 1. Is it really necessary to install both
> versions for both browsers to use Java?

just go ahead download and install:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you wake up looking like
your driver's license picture.

gwtc

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've got a question about the Java Runtime Environment program. I've
> never paid much attention to it in the past, but I know it is an
> important plug-in for Firefox. I always thought there was one version
> of Java for Windows that would work with all browsers.
>
> Yet if I visit the Java download home page, version 5 update 7 for
> Internet Explorer is listed. If I visit the Firefox plug-in page, it
> lists Java version 5 update 1. Is it really necessary to install both
> versions for both browsers to use Java?

just go ahead download and install:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you wake up looking like
your driver's license picture.

Keith (Southend)

gwtc wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've got a question about the Java Runtime Environment program. I've
>> never paid much attention to it in the past, but I know it is an
>> important plug-in for Firefox. I always thought there was one version
>> of Java for Windows that would work with all browsers.
>>
>> Yet if I visit the Java download home page, version 5 update 7 for
>> Internet Explorer is listed. If I visit the Firefox plug-in page, it
>> lists Java version 5 update 1. Is it really necessary to install both
>> versions for both browsers to use Java?
>>

> just go ahead download and install:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

To save disk space uninstall previous versions as version 7 just intalls
standalone and other versions, although not required, still sit there.

--
Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net

Keith (Southend)