Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Archiving Email

Archiving Email

Scott Nelson

I would like to archive my email up to a certain date and save it in
another folder. I would then like to start fresh in Thunderbird with
only new mail from that date on.

I don't want to throw out the old email(going back to 2001), but since I
don't need immediate access to it, I would like it archived somewhere.
When I back up my profile now it takes a while because of all this old
email.

A friend using Outlook Express (I've tried converting him) simply
highlights the email and drags it to another folder and it's taken care
of. I've tried this with Thunderbird and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Scott
--
Stop by and visit me on the Web...

http://www.treasuredude.net.tc
or
http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude

"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a
person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."
- Dan Quayle

gwtc

Scott Nelson wrote:

> I would like to archive my email up to a certain date and save it in
> another folder. I would then like to start fresh in Thunderbird with
> only new mail from that date on.
>
> I don't want to throw out the old email(going back to 2001), but since I
> don't need immediate access to it, I would like it archived somewhere.
> When I back up my profile now it takes a while because of all this old
> email.
>
> A friend using Outlook Express (I've tried converting him) simply
> highlights the email and drags it to another folder and it's taken care
> of. I've tried this with Thunderbird and it doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Scott

unfortunately, TB doesn't have an archive thing like OE does.
However, you can still archive the messages, but it does take a long
way to do it. What I do is place all my 2004 messages into a folder
called 2004. Then I click on File, Compact Folders. Then using my
file manager, within the TB profile, I copy that 2004 file to some
place else. Now, in TB, I delete the file. There, done.

Now, if I should ever need those messages again, I close TB, copy the
2004 file and move it back into TB. Then I restart TB, and all those
messages should be there.

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you wake up looking like
your driver's license picture.

gwtc

Scott Nelson wrote:

> I would like to archive my email up to a certain date and save it in
> another folder. I would then like to start fresh in Thunderbird with
> only new mail from that date on.
>
> I don't want to throw out the old email(going back to 2001), but since I
> don't need immediate access to it, I would like it archived somewhere.
> When I back up my profile now it takes a while because of all this old
> email.
>
> A friend using Outlook Express (I've tried converting him) simply
> highlights the email and drags it to another folder and it's taken care
> of. I've tried this with Thunderbird and it doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Scott

unfortunately, TB doesn't have an archive thing like OE does.
However, you can still archive the messages, but it does take a long
way to do it. What I do is place all my 2004 messages into a folder
called 2004. Then I click on File, Compact Folders. Then using my
file manager, within the TB profile, I copy that 2004 file to some
place else. Now, in TB, I delete the file. There, done.

Now, if I should ever need those messages again, I close TB, copy the
2004 file and move it back into TB. Then I restart TB, and all those
messages should be there.

--
You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you wake up looking like
your driver's license picture.

Scott Nelson

Thank you! I tried this on some 'test' messages and it worked
beautifully. Much appreciated.

Scott

--

archiving Tbird mail Jefry Firefox 5 08-30-2005 01:07 AM
google not archiving netscape.m... tbird or ff Splibbilla Firefox 1 07-03-2005 12:18 PM
Archiving Project in QuartusII ALuPin VHDL 1 10-08-2004 01:44 AM
Archiving Cisco configs w/ SNMP? gkg@gmx.de Cisco 12 11-14-2003 05:24 PM

Advertisments