Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird address import?

Thunderbird address import?

Dave H.

Thanks in advance.

I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I decided
to try Thunderbird.

When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify where
to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so that
Thunderbird will pick it up?

Dave H.

gwtc

Dave H. wrote:
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I decided
> to try Thunderbird.
>
> When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
> that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify where
> to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so that
> Thunderbird will pick it up?
>
> Dave H.

can you export the address book from OE? Export it as an ldif, then
import that into TB.

If you still can't do that, then try using Dawn:
http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: A computer program will always do what
you tell it to do, but rarely what you want to do.

gwtc

Dave H. wrote:
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I decided
> to try Thunderbird.
>
> When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
> that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify where
> to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so that
> Thunderbird will pick it up?
>
> Dave H.

can you export the address book from OE? Export it as an ldif, then
import that into TB.

If you still can't do that, then try using Dawn:
http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: A computer program will always do what
you tell it to do, but rarely what you want to do.

Roland de Ruiter

On 4-7-2006 12:51, Dave H. wrote:
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I decided
> to try Thunderbird.
>
> When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
> that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify where
> to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so that
> Thunderbird will pick it up?
>
> Dave H.

You can transparently use OE's address book in TB (i.e. contacts created
in TB appear in OE and vice versa). For instructions, see
<http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/03/outlook-and-oe-address-book-support-in.html>
After you've added the config settings (in TB1.5 you can use the Config
Editor, menu Tools > Options > Advanced > General) it the OE address
book appears as "OE Contacts" in the TB address book.
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

On 4-7-2006 19:52, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
> On 4-7-2006 12:51, Dave H. wrote:
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I
>> decided to try Thunderbird.
>>
>> When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
>> that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify
>> where to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so
>> that Thunderbird will pick it up?
>>
>> Dave H.

> You can transparently use OE's address book in TB (i.e. contacts created
> in TB appear in OE and vice versa). For instructions, see
> <http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/03/outlook-and-oe-address-book-support-in.html>
> After you've added the config settings (in TB1.5 you can use the Config
> Editor, menu Tools > Options > Advanced > General) it the OE address
> book appears as "OE Contacts" in the TB address book.

See also
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Outlook_%28Express%29_contacts_with_Thunderb ird_or_Mozilla_Mail>
--
Regards,

Roland

Roland de Ruiter

On 4-7-2006 19:52, Roland de Ruiter wrote:
> On 4-7-2006 12:51, Dave H. wrote:
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I am running Windows Vista and because the mail client is bad, I
>> decided to try Thunderbird.
>>
>> When I try to import my address book from Outlook Express, it tells me
>> that there are none available. Is there a way that I can specify
>> where to look or can I place my address book (*.wab) in a folder so
>> that Thunderbird will pick it up?
>>
>> Dave H.

> You can transparently use OE's address book in TB (i.e. contacts created
> in TB appear in OE and vice versa). For instructions, see
> <http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/03/outlook-and-oe-address-book-support-in.html>
> After you've added the config settings (in TB1.5 you can use the Config
> Editor, menu Tools > Options > Advanced > General) it the OE address
> book appears as "OE Contacts" in the TB address book.

See also
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Outlook_%28Express%29_contacts_with_Thunderb ird_or_Mozilla_Mail>
--
Regards,

Roland

Mcdoug Mcdoug is offline
Junior Member

Hello, I have read the posts about importing address books into Thunderbird. My problem is similar. I am running Windows 7 on a new laptop that does not have Outlook Express installed. I have a WAB file from the old machine running Outlook Express. The address book that I created the WAB file from is somewhat large (2000+ contacts) and has a number of folders and sub-folders to categorize the contacts which is why I am trying to avoid using the CSV import - I would lose all the folder structure.

I have decided the only way to import the WAB is to install OE6 temporarily, import the WAB file into it, then use the import WAB in Eudora (hopefully it will find it then), and once the address book has been recreated correctly in Eudora, then uninstall OE6. Is this the best or only way to do this?

One more problem... I already tried to install OE6 and I get an error message each time that says: A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. However, no other installation is pending and a reboot did nothing to resolve this. Based on other reading I believe OE6 should run on Windows 7. Am I wrong about this.

Thanks for any help you can provide to get my OE WAB file recreated in Eudora OSE.