Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Launches wrong email app

Launches wrong email app

Bill

I want to get FF to launch Outlook on mailto links but it insists on
launching Outlook Express. How do I change this?? Thanks!

gwtc

Bill wrote:
> I want to get FF to launch Outlook on mailto links but it insists on
> launching Outlook Express. How do I change this?? Thanks!

Open Internet Explorer, then click on Tools, Internet Options,
Programs tab, and in the area where it says E-mail, select Outlook.

Next time, I think you'd get a better answer in the newsgroup for
Outlook, since its more of an Outlook question than a FF one:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

gwtc

Bill wrote:
> I want to get FF to launch Outlook on mailto links but it insists on
> launching Outlook Express. How do I change this?? Thanks!

Open Internet Explorer, then click on Tools, Internet Options,
Programs tab, and in the area where it says E-mail, select Outlook.

Next time, I think you'd get a better answer in the newsgroup for
Outlook, since its more of an Outlook question than a FF one:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

Bill

I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer. BTW I did this with IE and
selected "Microsoft Outlook" in the email box but it still launches
Outlook Express. I just let it launch then copy and paste the email
address into Outlook but it's a pain. Still no luck with Firefox
either.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to get FF to launch Outlook on mailto links but it insists on
>launching Outlook Express. How do I change this?? Thanks!

Charani

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:00:23 -0400, Bill wrote:

> I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer. BTW I did this with IE and
> selected "Microsoft Outlook" in the email box but it still launches
> Outlook Express. I just let it launch then copy and paste the email
> address into Outlook but it's a pain. Still no luck with Firefox
> either.

I've had a similar problem where I wanted Mozilla as the default email
client but OE insisted on opening despite it showing as *not* the
default and Mozilla checked as the default.

What I did was to deliberately set OE as the default, rebooted, then
changed it to Mozilla, rebooted again and it worked. Why it worked I
have no idea, but I guess that somewhere in the Mickeysoft system the
change hadn't registered properly.

It may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

Charani

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:00:23 -0400, Bill wrote:

> I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer. BTW I did this with IE and
> selected "Microsoft Outlook" in the email box but it still launches
> Outlook Express. I just let it launch then copy and paste the email
> address into Outlook but it's a pain. Still no luck with Firefox
> either.

I've had a similar problem where I wanted Mozilla as the default email
client but OE insisted on opening despite it showing as *not* the
default and Mozilla checked as the default.

What I did was to deliberately set OE as the default, rebooted, then
changed it to Mozilla, rebooted again and it worked. Why it worked I
have no idea, but I guess that somewhere in the Mickeysoft system the
change hadn't registered properly.

It may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

Gribig

Bill wrote:
> I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer. BTW I did this with IE and
> selected "Microsoft Outlook" in the email box but it still launches
> Outlook Express. I just let it launch then copy and paste the email
> address into Outlook but it's a pain. Still no luck with Firefox
> either.

I believe this is a Windows issue not a FF/TB issue
specifically, sorry I can't be of any more help.

Gribig