Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Quoting in Thunderbird

Quoting in Thunderbird

Dag

When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?
If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
further and further down in the message.

I would prefer that the latest addition comes atop of the mail, making
it easy to check what's new since last. How do I change this in Thunderbird?

Ronald Hands

Dag wrote:
> When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
> and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?

No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
response.

> If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
> long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
> further and further down in the message.

It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly
encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of sloppy
posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material, leaving only
enough relevant text to establish what they're responding to.
That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing, tick
the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to behave.

-- Ron

Ronald Hands

Ronald Hands > wrote:

> No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
> the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
> natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
> response.
> >

> It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly
> encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of sloppy
> posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material, leaving only
> enough relevant text to establish what they're responding to.
> That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
> under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing, tick
> the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
> select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to behave.
>
> -- Ron

Hi Ron,

I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Dag

Ronald Hands > wrote:

> No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
> the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
> natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
> response.
> >

> It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly
> encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of sloppy
> posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material, leaving only
> enough relevant text to establish what they're responding to.
> That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
> under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing, tick
> the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
> select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to behave.
>
> -- Ron

Hi Ron,

I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Animesh K

Dag wrote:
> Ronald Hands > wrote:
>
>> No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
>> the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
>> natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
>> response.
>> > It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly

>> encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of
>> sloppy posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material,
>> leaving only enough relevant text to establish what they're responding
>> to.
>> That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
>> under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing,
>> tick the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
>> select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to
>> behave.
>>
>> -- Ron

> Hi Ron,
>
> I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
> would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Press "Control+Home" key to take the cursor to the top of the message.

Best,

PS: I don't know if you can make it a default.

Animesh K

Dag wrote:
> Ronald Hands > wrote:
>
>> No, bottom posting is standard on Usenet (although no doubt some of
>> the logically-challenged will argue otherwise). After all, it's a
>> natural sequence that the reader should see the context and then the
>> response.
>> > It often happens that way, but it shouldn't. You are strongly

>> encouraged to edit the quoted material. One of the great sins of
>> sloppy posters is that they don't chop the extraneous material,
>> leaving only enough relevant text to establish what they're responding
>> to.
>> That said, if you really want to change the way T'bird behaves, look
>> under Tools/Account Settings, click on Composition and Addressing,
>> tick the box to "automatically quote the original message..." and then
>> select, in the drop-down alternatives, how you want your reader to
>> behave.
>>
>> -- Ron

> Hi Ron,
>
> I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
> would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Press "Control+Home" key to take the cursor to the top of the message.

Best,

PS: I don't know if you can make it a default.

Mumia W.

Dag wrote:
> [...]
> I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
> would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Hi Dag.

Create a new account in tbird and use that only for mail.

Mumia W.

Dag wrote:
> [...]
> I agree completely when it comes to Usenet, but in regular E-mails I
> would have liked it the way I describe it in my posting.

Hi Dag.

Create a new account in tbird and use that only for mail.

gwtc

Dag wrote:

> When I answer a mail with Thunderbird, the old message comes at the top
> and my answer at the bottom of my message... isn't that quite strange?
> If a message goes back and forth some times, the message may grow quite
> long and finding the latest addition makes it neccessary to scroll
> further and further down in the message.
>
> I would prefer that the latest addition comes atop of the mail, making
> it easy to check what's new since last. How do I change this in Thunderbird?

When you mean you want the newest stuff on top, you can't do that.
Your message will arrive the way the sender sends it. If he sends the
message with his message at the top, then thats where you will see it.
If he wants it at the bottom of the message, then thats where it
will be. You can't change it. As a matter of fact, no email or
newsgroup program can do that.

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

What are all these nonesence sites quoting mine but with no content? xyZed HTML 8 04-05-2006 04:52 PM
Quoting literals properly yoni XML 12 02-18-2006 10:42 PM
Quoting original messages in replies John Coxon Firefox 14 04-24-2004 06:18 PM
Quoting confusion Derek Fountain XML 2 08-13-2003 10:36 AM

Advertisments