Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > choose user profile

choose user profile

Ed Mullen

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:
>
>> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
>> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
>> This should help.

> OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
> task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
> tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
> anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
> the entire mess.

You DO use a profile. You MUST, it's the only way the program works.
If you're using Windows you must change the OS default settings to
unhide system folders (which is where your profile is stored). See:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...xtensions.mspx

The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
create) another one.

If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
window. This makes a difference for some users.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

sf

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:

> The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
> processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
> profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
> assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
> create) another one.
>
> If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
> clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
> window. This makes a difference for some users.

Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:34:55 +1000, Rom wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:56:02 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> >OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
> >task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
> >tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
> >anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
> >the entire mess.

> <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
> <http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

Thanks for the information!

sf

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:34:55 +1000, Rom wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:56:02 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> >OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
> >task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
> >tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
> >anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
> >the entire mess.

> <http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
> <http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

Thanks for the information!

gwtc

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
>

>> The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
>> processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
>> profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
>> assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
>> create) another one.
>>
>> If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
>> clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
>> window. This makes a difference for some users.

> Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
> to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
> hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

parent.lock only shows up when FF is running. If FF has been closed
properly, then you won't see it. But, if you closed FF and its still
running in the background, then you should see the file parent.lock
and you can delete it.

--
Murphy's Laws of Computing: When you get to the point where you really
understand your computer, it's probably obsolete.

gwtc

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:47:11 -0700, gwtc wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:00:36 -0400, Ed Mullen wrote:
> >

> >> The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
> >> processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
> >> profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
> >> assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
> >> create) another one.
> >>
> >> If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
> >> clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
> >> window. This makes a difference for some users.

> > Thanks, I wasn't able to find a parent.lock today.... but FF is back
> > to normal now. Hopefully it won't happen again and if it does
> > hopefully I'll remember to search for parent.lock.

> parent.lock only shows up when FF is running. If FF has been closed
> properly, then you won't see it. But, if you closed FF and its still
> running in the background, then you should see the file parent.lock
> and you can delete it.

thanks for the additional information!