Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > choose user profile

choose user profile

sf

Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not but I'll ask here.
Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

TIA

Miller

*sf* wrote on 25.06.06 23:17:
> Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not but I'll ask here.
> Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
> Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
> disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
> disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
> small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
> called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
> message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
> in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
> FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
> what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
This should help.

cu, Miller

Miller

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

> *sf* wrote on 25.06.06 23:17:
> > Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not so I'll ask here.
> > Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
> > Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
> > disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
> > disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
> > small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
> > called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
> > message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
> > in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
> > FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
> > what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
> This should help.

Thanks. I was debating killing it with the task manager, processes
tab, but what I did was reboot the computer and that fixed whatever
confusion FF had. It was very odd behavior.

sf

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

> *sf* wrote on 25.06.06 23:17:
> > Maybe I all I need to do is reboot, maybe not so I'll ask here.
> > Apparently something happened to confuse FF. I was actively using
> > Chatzilla when all chat stopped. I had no indication of being
> > disconnected, but the conversation suddenly became one sided. I
> > disconnected and shut down FF. Now, when I try to start FF, I get a
> > small window that asks me to choose a user profile. I have only one
> > called "default". When I click on "start Firefox", I get another
> > message saying "firefox cannot use the profile "default" because it's
> > in use. How do I quit this profile? A look at Task Manager tells me
> > FF is not open, it's listed under the "processes tab" as 00 CPU - so
> > what's wrong? At the very least, why did it get confused?

> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
> This should help.

Thanks. I was debating killing it with the task manager, processes
tab, but what I did was reboot the computer and that fixed whatever
confusion FF had. It was very odd behavior.

sf

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
> This should help.

OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
the entire mess.

sf

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:

> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
> This should help.

OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
the entire mess.

Rom

<http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
<http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

--
Rom

Rom

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:56:02 -0700, sf wrote:

>OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
>task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
>tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
>anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
>the entire mess.

<http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile>
<http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html>

--
Rom

Ed Mullen

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:29:42 +0200, Miller wrote:
>
>> Close FF completely (maybe kill it with the taskmanager), go to your
>> FF-profile and delete the file called "parent.lock" - if it exists.
>> This should help.

> OK, it just happened again and CZ was not in use. I killed FF using
> task Manager > Processes and was able to get it started again. Please
> tell me how to find FF "profile". Not even "search" turned up
> anything. Obviously I don't use one and wish I could just eliminate
> the entire mess.

You DO use a profile. You MUST, it's the only way the program works.
If you're using Windows you must change the OS default settings to
unhide system folders (which is where your profile is stored). See:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...xtensions.mspx

The problem is that something is causing FF to not terminate all
processes when you close it. That leaves a file (parent.lock) in your
profile folder. When you next try to open FF it sees that file and
assumes the profile is already in use and prompts you to choose (or
create) another one.

If using Windows try closing FF using the File - Exit command instead of
clicking the Close "X" box in the upper right corner of the program
window. This makes a difference for some users.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net