Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird's exploding threads

Thunderbird's exploding threads

rupo

Ronald Hands > wrote:
> Burkhard Müller wrote:
>

>> I think it's the oldest thread with a new message. There have been
>> long discussions in the german mozilla.mailnews NG about that.
>> Some say the cure is to put this:
>> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
>> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
>> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
>> and pray for better times.
>>

> Maybe I don't understand the problem, not having read previous entries
> in this thread, but I don't seem to have any troubles of this sort.
> I have my settings under View/Threads set to "Unread". When I finish
> reading a newsgroup, I select "mark newsgroup read" which gets rid of
> all the messages/headers I didn't bother checking out. Next time I
> visit the newsgroup, if there are new messages in a particular thread, I
> see only the new message headers. Works for me!
>
> -- Ron

Thanks...you gave me something new to play with. I will defeat
this beast.

rupo

Burkhard Müller wrote:
> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 08:19:
>> rupo wrote:
>>> How do I get Thunderbird to stop dropping me into the middle of an
>>> exploded thread with a zillion messages (and not one of them mine) every
>>> time I click on a new newsgroup?

>> thats one of the craps I've been complaining about for a long time.
>> Some say its supposed to open up to the thread that has the newest
>> message in it. I say it doesn't, it opens where it wants to. Others
>> say it open to the last thread you were in, and again I disagree.
>> Unfortunately, there isn't a cure for this PITA.

> I think it's the oldest thread with a new message. There have been
> long discussions in the german mozilla.mailnews NG about that.
> Some say the cure is to put this:
> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
> and pray for better times.
>
> cu, Miller

I'm going to play around with View-->Threads in the menu area (I
assume you already have done this) and look at user.js.

rupo

Burkhard Müller wrote:
> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 08:19:
>> rupo wrote:
>>> How do I get Thunderbird to stop dropping me into the middle of an
>>> exploded thread with a zillion messages (and not one of them mine) every
>>> time I click on a new newsgroup?

>> thats one of the craps I've been complaining about for a long time.
>> Some say its supposed to open up to the thread that has the newest
>> message in it. I say it doesn't, it opens where it wants to. Others
>> say it open to the last thread you were in, and again I disagree.
>> Unfortunately, there isn't a cure for this PITA.

> I think it's the oldest thread with a new message. There have been
> long discussions in the german mozilla.mailnews NG about that.
> Some say the cure is to put this:
> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
> and pray for better times.
>
> cu, Miller

I'm going to play around with View-->Threads in the menu area (I
assume you already have done this) and look at user.js.

gwtc

Burkhard Müller wrote:
> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 08:19:
>
>>rupo wrote:
>>
>>>How do I get Thunderbird to stop dropping me into the middle of an
>>>exploded thread with a zillion messages (and not one of them mine) every
>>>time I click on a new newsgroup?

>>thats one of the craps I've been complaining about for a long time.
>>Some say its supposed to open up to the thread that has the newest
>>message in it. I say it doesn't, it opens where it wants to. Others
>>say it open to the last thread you were in, and again I disagree.
>>Unfortunately, there isn't a cure for this PITA.

> I think it's the oldest thread with a new message. There have been
> long discussions in the german mozilla.mailnews NG about that.
> Some say the cure is to put this:
> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
> and pray for better times.
>
> cu, Miller

it works in Thunderbird, but not in Mozilla Suite. Crap

btw -- you don't have to add it to the user.js file. Its already in
the config editor. Just double click on it and change it to false.

--
Before and After Children

BEFORE Children: I was thankful for the Moosewood Vegetarian cookbook.

AFTER Children: I am thankful for the butterball turkey hotline.

gwtc

Burkhard Müller wrote:
> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 08:19:
>
>>rupo wrote:
>>
>>>How do I get Thunderbird to stop dropping me into the middle of an
>>>exploded thread with a zillion messages (and not one of them mine) every
>>>time I click on a new newsgroup?

>>thats one of the craps I've been complaining about for a long time.
>>Some say its supposed to open up to the thread that has the newest
>>message in it. I say it doesn't, it opens where it wants to. Others
>>say it open to the last thread you were in, and again I disagree.
>>Unfortunately, there isn't a cure for this PITA.

> I think it's the oldest thread with a new message. There have been
> long discussions in the german mozilla.mailnews NG about that.
> Some say the cure is to put this:
> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
> and pray for better times.
>
> cu, Miller

it works in Thunderbird, but not in Mozilla Suite. Crap

btw -- you don't have to add it to the user.js file. Its already in
the config editor. Just double click on it and change it to false.

--
Before and After Children

BEFORE Children: I was thankful for the Moosewood Vegetarian cookbook.

AFTER Children: I am thankful for the butterball turkey hotline.

Miller

*gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 22:46:
> Burkhard Müller wrote:

>> Some say the cure is to put this:
>> user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
>> into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
>> The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
>> and pray for better times.
>>
>> cu, Miller

> it works in Thunderbird, but not in Mozilla Suite. Crap

You lucky one. For me it doesn't work in TB and i don't want to
use the Mozilla- or Seamonkey-Mailclient. :-\

> btw -- you don't have to add it to the user.js file. Its already in
> the config editor. Just double click on it and change it to false.

Maybe it was added as a standard-entry since version 1.5.
Up to version 1.0.7 you had to insert it by hand IIRC.

cu, Miller

Miller

Miller wrote:

> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 22:46:
>
>>Burkhard Müller wrote:

>>>Some say the cure is to put this:
>>>user_pref("mailnews.scroll_to_new_message", false);
>>>into your user.js but it just works for very few people, don't know why.
>>>The only "workaround" i know is to wait for a new Thunderbird-Version
>>>and pray for better times.
>>>
>>>cu, Miller

>>it works in Thunderbird, but not in Mozilla Suite. Crap

> You lucky one. For me it doesn't work in TB and i don't want to
> use the Mozilla- or Seamonkey-Mailclient. :-\
>

>>btw -- you don't have to add it to the user.js file. Its already in
>>the config editor. Just double click on it and change it to false.

> Maybe it was added as a standard-entry since version 1.5.
> Up to version 1.0.7 you had to insert it by hand IIRC.
>
> cu, Miller

you can add it to the config editor. Just click on entry entry, right
click and select New, Boolean, and put in the first box:

mailnews.scroll_to_new_message

and false in the 2nd. Then you may have to restart TB for it to work.

--
Before and After Children

BEFORE Children: I was thankful for a warm, cozy home to share with my
loved ones.

AFTER Children: I am thankful for the lock on the bathroom door.

gwtc

gwtc wrote:
> Miller wrote:
>
>> *gwtc* wrote on 23.06.06 22:46:

>>> it works in Thunderbird, but not in Mozilla Suite. Crap

>> You lucky one. For me it doesn't work in TB and i don't want to
>> use the Mozilla- or Seamonkey-Mailclient. :-\
>>

>>> btw -- you don't have to add it to the user.js file. Its already in
>>> the config editor. Just double click on it and change it to false.

>> Maybe it was added as a standard-entry since version 1.5.
>> Up to version 1.0.7 you had to insert it by hand IIRC.
>>
>> cu, Miller

> you can add it to the config editor. Just click on entry entry, right
> click and select New, Boolean, and put in the first box:
>
> mailnews.scroll_to_new_message
>
> and false in the 2nd. Then you may have to restart TB for it to work.

You are using Mozilla. Thunderbird doesn't have a "config
editor". In Thunderbird you have to create the config files user.js and
userchrome.css and usercontent.css and then edit them. Trouble is, I
can't figure out what to put in them to stop the threads from expanding.
I'm still trying.

In Thunderbird I can hit the backslash key (\) to collapse the
ridiculous expanding thread that Thunderbird first goes to (always in
the middle of the thread, it seems like) when you go to a new newsgroup.
You probably knew that. That \ key saves a lot of time and effort. I
used to navigate the mouse up the line of messages to try to find the
first message so that I could collapse the thread...tedious.