Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to disable M$ IE

How to disable M$ IE

Animesh K

Animesh K wrote:
> John <>< wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
>> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

>> ????????????????
>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>
>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
>> CAN be
>> done.)
>>
>> John <><

> I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method (as
> opposed to deleting):
>

> 1) Go to control-panel
> 2) Open Add-Remove programs
> 3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a
> new window will popup)
> 4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many other
> such junk programs right there.
>
> You _don't need_ any program for doing it.
>
> Have fun,
> Animesh

Arghhh! I just followed the tinyurl link you gave --- the methods suggested are
very weird. Play with things (programs) in XP, for you can always re-store them
using PC restore wizard.

gwtc

Animesh K wrote:

> John <>< wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
>>wrote:
>>

>>>You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

>>????????????????
>>See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>
>>(I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it CAN be
>>done.)
>>
>>John <><

> I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method (as opposed
> to deleting):
>

> 1) Go to control-panel
> 2) Open Add-Remove programs
> 3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a new
> window will popup)
> 4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many other such
> junk programs right there.
>
> You _don't need_ any program for doing it.
>
> Have fun,
> Animesh

The bad news is you can't remove IE from xp or 2000. If you do, then
you can cripple the operating system. You can remove OE with no
problems. You can also disable IE from win 95, 98, and ME. You can
check out http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html for more details.

However, you can disable IE without any problems. If you're on
dial-up or vpn, then your SOL. From IE, click on Tools, Internet
Options, Connections, click on the LAN Settings button, and check the
box for "use a proxy server for your LAN . . ." and enter 0.0.0.0 in
the first box and 80 for port. This will disable all http
connections, however, it won't disable is windows update feature.
However, you can use FF/Moz/SM/Net to update windows with this
extension: http://windizupdate.com/. I've used it many times and it
works faster than IE does.

There is also this site: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html for
disabling IE in win 2000 and xp, and its not a recommendation. But
make sure you have a back up just incase things go wrong.

Also, there is the info here that can be useful:
http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2677. But again, backup!
And I not making a recommendation on this either.

--
I just got my new FREE Sun t-shirt today, and the saying on it says:
"The average human uses only 10% of his brainpower. Find nine other

gwtc

gwtc wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>
>> John <>< wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
>>> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">

>>> ????????????????
>>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>>
>>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly
>>> it CAN be
>>> done.)
>>>
>>> John <><

>> I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method
>> (as opposed to deleting):
>>

>> 1) Go to control-panel
>> 2) Open Add-Remove programs
>> 3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a
>> new window will popup)
>> 4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many
>> other such junk programs right there.
>>
>> You _don't need_ any program for doing it.
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Animesh

> The bad news is you can't remove IE from xp or 2000. If you do, then
> you can cripple the operating system. You can remove OE with no
> problems. You can also disable IE from win 95, 98, and ME. You can
> check out http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html for more details.

Whaaa! Did you try through add/remove windows components? I have removed many
and had no problems. I didn't remove IE, however, since I use it for the
[crappy] windows update.

I personally don't see why Add/Remove windows component won't work for IE; if it
wouldn't (most of the times), then Bill Gates baton would not put it there in
the first place.

> However, you can disable IE without any problems. If you're on dial-up
> or vpn, then your SOL. From IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
> Connections, click on the LAN Settings button, and check the box for
> "use a proxy server for your LAN . . ." and enter 0.0.0.0 in the first
> box and 80 for port. This will disable all http connections, however,
> it won't disable is windows update feature. However, you can use
> FF/Moz/SM/Net to update windows with this extension:
> http://windizupdate.com/. I've used it many times and it works faster
> than IE does.

No I don't want to go through all this. I want to keep IE for winupdate. I just
used IE for a few idiotic Indian websites which don't work with Firefox/Opera or
for updates.

> There is also this site: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html for disabling
> IE in win 2000 and xp, and its not a recommendation. But make sure you
> have a back up just incase things go wrong.

In win 2000 you can just remove IE using Add/Remove programs. In Win XP, it
becomes a Windows component which you can remove. I don't see what extra this
liteos is going to do.

> Also, there is the info here that can be useful:
> http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2677. But again, backup! And
> I not making a recommendation on this either.

Best,

Animesh K

gwtc wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>
>> John <>< wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
>>> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">

>>> ????????????????
>>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>>
>>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly
>>> it CAN be
>>> done.)
>>>
>>> John <><

>> I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method
>> (as opposed to deleting):
>>

>> 1) Go to control-panel
>> 2) Open Add-Remove programs
>> 3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a
>> new window will popup)
>> 4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many
>> other such junk programs right there.
>>
>> You _don't need_ any program for doing it.
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Animesh

> The bad news is you can't remove IE from xp or 2000. If you do, then
> you can cripple the operating system. You can remove OE with no
> problems. You can also disable IE from win 95, 98, and ME. You can
> check out http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html for more details.

Whaaa! Did you try through add/remove windows components? I have removed many
and had no problems. I didn't remove IE, however, since I use it for the
[crappy] windows update.

I personally don't see why Add/Remove windows component won't work for IE; if it
wouldn't (most of the times), then Bill Gates baton would not put it there in
the first place.

> However, you can disable IE without any problems. If you're on dial-up
> or vpn, then your SOL. From IE, click on Tools, Internet Options,
> Connections, click on the LAN Settings button, and check the box for
> "use a proxy server for your LAN . . ." and enter 0.0.0.0 in the first
> box and 80 for port. This will disable all http connections, however,
> it won't disable is windows update feature. However, you can use
> FF/Moz/SM/Net to update windows with this extension:
> http://windizupdate.com/. I've used it many times and it works faster
> than IE does.

No I don't want to go through all this. I want to keep IE for winupdate. I just
used IE for a few idiotic Indian websites which don't work with Firefox/Opera or
for updates.

> There is also this site: http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html for disabling
> IE in win 2000 and xp, and its not a recommendation. But make sure you
> have a back up just incase things go wrong.

In win 2000 you can just remove IE using Add/Remove programs. In Win XP, it
becomes a Windows component which you can remove. I don't see what extra this
liteos is going to do.

> Also, there is the info here that can be useful:
> http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2677. But again, backup! And
> I not making a recommendation on this either.

Best,

John

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:50:14 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>

>Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

Your privilege!
And some don't like URL's that are so long that they wrap over two or more
lines.

Guess we all have our preferences, and we all make our choices . . .

John <><

wrote:

>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
>>

>Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

Your privilege!
And some don't like URL's that are so long that they wrap over two or more
lines.

Guess we all have our preferences, and we all make our choices . . .

John <><

Riggo

>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
>> CAN be
>> done.)
>>
>> John <><

> Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

So don't click it, ****nut. Is it really necessary to tell
everyone?

Riggo

>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
>> CAN be
>> done.)
>>
>> John <><

> Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

So don't click it, ****nut. Is it really necessary to tell
everyone?

Riggo

>> Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links
>
> Your privilege!
> And some don't like URL's that are so long that they wrap over two or more
> lines.
>
> Guess we all have our preferences, and we all make our choices . . .

Exactly. The guy who replied to your message was a dick.