Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > UTF rendering problems

UTF rendering problems

Animesh K

Hello All:

My first post! I have Mozilla and Firefox installed in two computers and only
Firefox in one. I noticed that only Firefox installation supports UTF rendering
for devanagari (Hindi) or for diacritics properly.

http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/govindastakam.htm

For example, if you have the latest build of firefox *only*, you should see the
title of the poem without any spaces between the title word.

However, in computers where Mozilla Suite is installed, I see the rendering as
improper. It has useless spaces after any character which has to be
super-imposed on top of the previous character.

I removed all my profiles (c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\mozilla) and cache etc from c:\program files\ and then re-installed only
firefox. The problem still persists.

Is there a way out of this mess?

Best regards,
Animesh

gwtc

try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

--
Funny Things To Do in An Elevator: Tip #4: Stand silent and motionless
in the corner, facing the wall, without getting off.

gwtc

gwtc wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>> Hello All:
>>
>> My first post! I have Mozilla and Firefox installed in two computers
>> and only Firefox in one. I noticed that only Firefox installation
>> supports UTF rendering for devanagari (Hindi) or for diacritics properly.
>>
>> http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/govindastakam.htm
>>
>> For example, if you have the latest build of firefox *only*, you
>> should see the title of the poem without any spaces between the title
>> word.
>>
>> However, in computers where Mozilla Suite is installed, I see the
>> rendering as improper. It has useless spaces after any character which
>> has to be super-imposed on top of the previous character.
>>
>> I removed all my profiles (c:\documents and
>> settings\username\application data\mozilla) and cache etc from
>> c:\program files\ and then re-installed only firefox. The problem
>> still persists.
>>
>> Is there a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Animesh

> try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Yes! But how do I fix it in a computer where mozilla was installed once upon a
time, but now only firefox is there.

Best,

Animesh K

gwtc wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>> Hello All:
>>
>> My first post! I have Mozilla and Firefox installed in two computers
>> and only Firefox in one. I noticed that only Firefox installation
>> supports UTF rendering for devanagari (Hindi) or for diacritics properly.
>>
>> http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/govindastakam.htm
>>
>> For example, if you have the latest build of firefox *only*, you
>> should see the title of the poem without any spaces between the title
>> word.
>>
>> However, in computers where Mozilla Suite is installed, I see the
>> rendering as improper. It has useless spaces after any character which
>> has to be super-imposed on top of the previous character.
>>
>> I removed all my profiles (c:\documents and
>> settings\username\application data\mozilla) and cache etc from
>> c:\program files\ and then re-installed only firefox. The problem
>> still persists.
>>
>> Is there a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Animesh

> try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Okay, I tried this upgrade to seamonkey (samudravaanara): didn't help!

Thanks,
Animesh

Animesh K

gwtc wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>> Hello All:
>>
>> My first post! I have Mozilla and Firefox installed in two computers
>> and only Firefox in one. I noticed that only Firefox installation
>> supports UTF rendering for devanagari (Hindi) or for diacritics properly.
>>
>> http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/govindastakam.htm
>>
>> For example, if you have the latest build of firefox *only*, you
>> should see the title of the poem without any spaces between the title
>> word.
>>
>> However, in computers where Mozilla Suite is installed, I see the
>> rendering as improper. It has useless spaces after any character which
>> has to be super-imposed on top of the previous character.
>>
>> I removed all my profiles (c:\documents and
>> settings\username\application data\mozilla) and cache etc from
>> c:\program files\ and then re-installed only firefox. The problem
>> still persists.
>>
>> Is there a way out of this mess?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Animesh

> try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Okay, I tried this upgrade to seamonkey (samudravaanara): didn't help!

Thanks,
Animesh

Mumia W.

Animesh K wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Animesh K wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> http://www.stutimandal.com/gif_adi/govindastakam.htm
>>>
>>> For example, if you have the latest build of firefox *only*, you
>>> should see the title of the poem without any spaces between the
>>> title word.
>>>
>>> However, in computers where Mozilla Suite is installed, I see the
>>> rendering as improper. It has useless spaces after any character
>>> which has to be super-imposed on top of the previous character.
>>> [...]

>> try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
>>

> Okay, I tried this upgrade to seamonkey (samudravaanara): didn't help!
>
> Thanks,
> Animesh

I'm using Seamonkey 1.0.1.

I went to that web site, and the Hindi text appeared just fine. There
are no spaces in the title.

Mumia W.

Mumia W. wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> try upgrading to Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
>>>

>> Okay, I tried this upgrade to seamonkey (samudravaanara): didn't help!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Animesh

> I'm using Seamonkey 1.0.1.
>
> I went to that web site, and the Hindi text appeared just fine. There
> are no spaces in the title.

Yes, that's what I am saying again and again; a fresh installation works fine.
But if Mozilla has been in the history of install, (say till past 1 year), then
page rendering is bad (my testing method: win Xp, and 2 different computers).
How to get around this?

Best,