Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless laptop unable to connect to Internet

Wireless laptop unable to connect to Internet

=?Utf-8?B?VGVzcw==?=

I have 2 laptops that are connected to my wireless network and one will not
connect to the internet. I have excellent signal strength on both. The
message is "page cannot be displayed" in my browser. The settings on both
laptops are identical. Both are using Windows XP. The laptop that is not
connecting does not have any service packs installed yet. Could this be the
reason? Scratching my head as to how I can obtain the SP's without internet
access.

Leanin' Cedar

"Tess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 laptops that are connected to my wireless network and one will not
> connect to the internet. I have excellent signal strength on both. The
> message is "page cannot be displayed" in my browser. The settings on both
> laptops are identical. Both are using Windows XP. The laptop that is not
> connecting does not have any service packs installed yet. Could this be
> the
> reason? Scratching my head as to how I can obtain the SP's without
> internet
> access.

Is work offline checked in your browser?
Bob

=?Utf-8?B?VGVzcw==?=

"Leanin' Cedar" wrote:

> "Tess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 2 laptops that are connected to my wireless network and one will not
> > connect to the internet. I have excellent signal strength on both. The
> > message is "page cannot be displayed" in my browser. The settings on both
> > laptops are identical. Both are using Windows XP. The laptop that is not
> > connecting does not have any service packs installed yet. Could this be
> > the
> > reason? Scratching my head as to how I can obtain the SP's without
> > internet
> > access.

> Is work offline checked in your browser?
> Bob
>

> No it is not checked to work offline. I have tried 2 different browsers with the same results. I have also connected on other wireless networks but the browsers will not hook me up online. Thanks for the help though. -

Leanin' Cedar

>> Is work offline checked in your browser?
>> Bob
>>

>> No it is not checked to work offline. I have tried 2 different browsers
>> with the same results. I have also connected on other wireless networks
>> but the browsers will not hook me up online. Thanks for the help
>> though. -

Could it be your firewall?
Bob

Billy Billy is offline
Junior Member

My ISP makes me registar the MAC of every computer i put on the internet the first two are done automaticaly, but I can only do two at a time and after two i have to go to the registration site, delete one of the MACS and enter the new one, if thats not the problem try releasing and them renewing the IP adress in comand promt "ipconfig /all" will give you all the info on your connection and "ipconfig /? , Or ipconfig /help" will give you a list of all ip commands and what thier porpose is , just incase enter comand pompt, type in "ipconfig /release" -enter, then type "ipconfig /renew" -enter remember there is a space inbetween ipconfig and the slash but not after finally if that does not work try flushing and re-registering your dns, the istruction are in the help file (ipconfig /help). Hope thats of some use to you

Billy Billy is offline
Junior Member

Sorry forgot to add you can use your working computer to dowload the sevice pack and then place it on a cd and load it on the other, But you have to get it from a third party, NOT microsoft, they do allow you to save SP2 to your hard drive, try www.downloads.com or just google "windows xp sp2" if your copy of windows only has service pack one on it its always a good idea to have SP2 on a disk somewhere, however service packs wont be the difference in getting online or not, but I do-not suggest going online without SP2 unless you enjoy deleting files from safe mode