Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Extend wireless range with second wireless router?

Extend wireless range with second wireless router?

=?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

I have a Netgear router in the basement and sometimes have a hard time
getting a signal two floors up in a small house. I have a spare motorola
wireless router and was wondering if I can extend the range of the basement
router by placing the motorola somewhere on the main floor. Way off base?
Configuration nightmare?

Thanks

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 14-Jul-2006, =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I have a Netgear router in the basement and sometimes have a hard time
> getting a signal two floors up in a small house. I have a spare motorola
> wireless router and was wondering if I can extend the range of the basement
> router by placing the motorola somewhere on the main floor. Way off base?
> Configuration nightmare?

Depends on whether the routers have RJ45 CAT5 wired connection
capability. Going through two wireless links might be a bit iffy.
There could be a problem finding two non-interfering wireless
channels, and ensuring you lock onto the preferred one, which
is why, apart from any config issues (and this might depend on
the specific routers) a wired link, making the second router an
access point might be better.
Netgear also do access points for this purpose, an early
version was the ME102, but things have moved on, you
might find something on eBay.
USB wireless adapters, with or without aluminium kitchen
foil reflectors, give some flexibility for finding the best
signal. Card and built in antennas can be shielded by
the case and are not necessarily located for the best signal
pickup.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Poppa Earl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Netgear router in the basement and sometimes have a hard time
> getting a signal two floors up in a small house. I have a spare motorola
> wireless router and was wondering if I can extend the range of the
> basement
> router by placing the motorola somewhere on the main floor. Way off base?
> Configuration nightmare?
>
> Thanks

boscharun boscharun is offline
Junior Member

I don't think you can do it fully wireless. You need something called a repeater for that. But if you can pull an ethernet cable say to first floor, you can easily complement your existing router signal strength. You need to connect the LAN ports of both routers together with an ethernet cable and configure the second router so that the SSID, Wireless mode, channel, security mode and the password matches the first one.
Once done, both routers will transmit the same signal and depending on how far you have kept the second router, you get that much more range. See this for details on router configuration - http://goo.gl/TpprN