Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Accessing internet through a laptop wireless broadband connection

Accessing internet through a laptop wireless broadband connection

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I would
like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with the
broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
patches.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
the regular geeks.

Johnathan

Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection.
> I would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though
> the one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP
> Pro with all the latest patches.
>
> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus
> who help the regular geeks.

Connect a Wireless Router to the modem. Both Laptops will have wirelss
connectivity

Lem

Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I would
> like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with the
> broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
> patches.
>
> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
> the regular geeks.

Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
Broadband connection.

In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set
up a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the
Internet and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the
wi-fi rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall
rather than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the
principles are the same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular
Broadband, I'm only assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and
that you therefore ought to be able to share it just as you can share a

Johnathan wrote:
> Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
>> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection.
>> I would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though
>> the one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP
>> Pro with all the latest patches.
>>
>> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus
>> who help the regular geeks.

> Connect a Wireless Router to the modem. Both Laptops will have wirelss
> connectivity

AFAIK, Cingular Broadband modems are PCMCIA cards that go into a laptop
Type II slot. I don't know if there is any straightforward way to
connect one of these cards to a wireless router.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

Perfect. This is what I was looking for. The Cingular Broadband is built in
so there is not even a PCMCIA card.

Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
> Perfect. This is what I was looking for. The Cingular Broadband is built in
> so there is not even a PCMCIA card.
>
> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
>>> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I would
>>> like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with the
>>> broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
>>> patches.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
>>> the regular geeks.

>> Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
>> Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
>> Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
>> Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
>> Broadband connection.
>>
>> In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set
>> up a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
>>

>> The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the
>> Internet and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the
>> wi-fi rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall
>> rather than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the
>> principles are the same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular
>> Broadband, I'm only assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and
>> that you therefore ought to be able to share it just as you can share a
>> "wired Ethernet broadband connection."

Let us know if you get it working. As wireless broadband connections
become more common, others will probably be asking the same question.

Diamontina Cocktail

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
>> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I
>> would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the
>> one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with
>> all the latest patches. Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many
>> thanks to the gurus who help the regular geeks.

> Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
> Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
> Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
> Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
> Broadband connection.
>
> In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set up
> a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
>
> The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the Internet
> and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the wi-fi
> rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall rather
> than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the principles are the
> same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular Broadband, I'm only
> assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and that you therefore
> ought to be able to share it just as you can share a "wired Ethernet
> broadband connection."

It's more than theoretical. At different times I have set up all sorts of
wi-fi including ad-hoc to internet through one computer with a USB ADSL
modem attached and also others attached to it wired. I have had bluetooth to
wi-fi which was ICS as well and many others. It is easily done and you don't
really need to bridge the networks if you don't want to share files between
the lot but if you DO want to share files, bridge them.

Diamontina Cocktail

"Mark in La Jolla CA" <Mark in La Jolla http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I
>would
> like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with
> the
> broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
> patches.
>
> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who
> help
> the regular geeks.

If you have a wi-fi NIC on each computer, set them up ad-hoc and then ICS to
Internet. If you don't have a wi-fi NIC on both then set them up wired.
Easiest way is to buy a crossover cable and set them up that way though you
can buy a hub and 2 straight through cables. Once set up, ICS to Internet
again.

In either case, the Internet connection (Cingular) is the one that is shared
when using ICS.

=?Utf-8?B?SW1zdGVy?=

I see that you have previously succeeded in sharing a USB ADSL connection,
however it is unclear whether you have done this through Windows ICS. I would
appreciate any help:-

My system setup:

Host PC:
Desktop connected to Speedtouch ADSL modem - Windows Firewall running std -
no exceptions.
Wireless Asus NIC - Windows Firewall running std - no exceptions.

Laptop:
Wireless Intel NIC

I have managed to set up an ad hoc connection (with no security). I followed
Barb Bowmen'd model and the ad-hoc connection is OK. However my laptop is
still unable to connect to the internet (page cannot be dispalyed). I see
from Barb's model that my laptop should show an internet gateway, but it does
not.