Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 2 wireless routers on the same network - one secure, one unsecure

2 wireless routers on the same network - one secure, one unsecure

=?Utf-8?B?YmVuZHk=?=

Hello,
I have two wireless routers, a netgear wpn824 and a linksys wrt54g. Can I
use these on the same network? My netgear is my main router with a secure
wireless through wpa-tkip which I want to leave alone for my desktop and
laptop. I want to use the linksys but leave it unsecured for anyone that
comes to my home with a laptop and also for my kids who all have PSPs and
want to connect to the internet with them. Also, we have a xbox and a
playstation that use wireless but all of which I mentioned always have a
problems connecting with the security on. I know this because if I turn off
the security, all of the devices connect with no problems.

So, I thought if I had an additional wireless router attached without any
security, the games and others that come over with a laptop could connect
easily with out me having to configure something. If this is possible, would
it compromise the security of my netgear and the desktop and laptop connected
to it?

Thank you for any help
Bendy

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

You have two options.

1. Use the second Router as an Access Point.
Easy to configure, but put your Network in jeopardy (actually deems the
security on the other Router irrelevant).
Instruction here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
2. Configure the two Routers as a Secured Segregated Network.
See here, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...