Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different computers

Wireless connection drops intermittently on 4 different computers

=?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

Hello,

I have a wireless network set up, used to have a NetGear G wireless router,
and now have the new Linksys N router. I have 4 different computers, two
desktops with the Microsoft USB G adaptor, one Acer with internal Centrino
and a Sony with internal centrino. Wired connections work perfectly when
using both routers.

This is the problem: when wireless works, it works fine, but connections
seem to drop intermittently. I switched the channels used on the new Linksys
around, and used the new 'Wide' 40MHz channel settings, and wireless was fine
for over a day, but now connections are dropping again. It's not a problem of
computers I dont think, because the problem occurs with 4 different computers
(although at *slightly* different time intervals): the wireless connection is
dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is to
reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to work.
As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two
different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but distance
does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.

any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce
interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in order
to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the option of
wireless 802.11a with its different band?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

thank you,

RG

Gary Karasik

What works for me is a little .BAT file on the desktop that has the lines

net stop "wireless zero configuration"
net start "wireless zero configuration"

I've trained my users to double-click that when they discover a dropped
connection.

--

GaryK

"Rocaveli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a wireless network set up, used to have a NetGear G wireless
> router,
> and now have the new Linksys N router. I have 4 different computers, two
> desktops with the Microsoft USB G adaptor, one Acer with internal Centrino
> and a Sony with internal centrino. Wired connections work perfectly when
> using both routers.
>
> This is the problem: when wireless works, it works fine, but connections
> seem to drop intermittently. I switched the channels used on the new
> Linksys
> around, and used the new 'Wide' 40MHz channel settings, and wireless was
> fine
> for over a day, but now connections are dropping again. It's not a problem
> of
> computers I dont think, because the problem occurs with 4 different
> computers
> (although at *slightly* different time intervals): the wireless connection
> is
> dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is to
> reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to
> work.
> As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two
> different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but distance
> does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.
>
> any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce
> interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in
> order
> to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the option
> of
> wireless 802.11a with its different band?
>
> ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!
>
> thank you,
>
> RG

=?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

but is there a reason to determine the reason for the dropped connections in
the first place? I mean..this isnt a once-a-month occurence, more like a
few-times-per-day occurence. Any 'quick fix' would be inconvenient and I'd
rather solve the problem itself, if possible, or at least figure out what it
is..

"Gary Karasik" wrote:

> What works for me is a little .BAT file on the desktop that has the lines
>
> net stop "wireless zero configuration"
> net start "wireless zero configuration"
>
> I've trained my users to double-click that when they discover a dropped
> connection.
>
> --
>
> GaryK
>

> "Rocaveli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a wireless network set up, used to have a NetGear G wireless
> > router,
> > and now have the new Linksys N router. I have 4 different computers, two
> > desktops with the Microsoft USB G adaptor, one Acer with internal Centrino
> > and a Sony with internal centrino. Wired connections work perfectly when
> > using both routers.
> >
> > This is the problem: when wireless works, it works fine, but connections
> > seem to drop intermittently. I switched the channels used on the new
> > Linksys
> > around, and used the new 'Wide' 40MHz channel settings, and wireless was
> > fine
> > for over a day, but now connections are dropping again. It's not a problem
> > of
> > computers I dont think, because the problem occurs with 4 different
> > computers
> > (although at *slightly* different time intervals): the wireless connection
> > is
> > dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is to
> > reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to
> > work.
> > As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two
> > different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but distance
> > does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.
> >
> > any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce
> > interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in
> > order
> > to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the option
> > of
> > wireless 802.11a with its different band?
> >
> > ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!
> >
> > thank you,
> >
> > RG

=?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?=

Restarting the windows wireless zero configuration utility (or stopping then
starting it, as you suggest), does not make the access point reappear. It
seems that the only way to make it reappear is to reset or restart the
router.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 8-Jul-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Um9jYXZlbGk=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> but is there a reason to determine the reason for the dropped connections in
> the first place? I mean..this isnt a once-a-month occurence, more like a
> few-times-per-day occurence. Any 'quick fix' would be inconvenient and I'd
> rather solve the problem itself, if possible, or at least figure out what it
> is..

Have you tried static IP addresses? It may be a DHCP lease time,
or renewal problem. It's easy to get rid of Zero Config, which comes
from the same MS$ stable as the unreliable Plug and Pray). Try it
on one PC first, no changes at the router are needed.
With Zero Config out of the picture you should have access to
the adapters mfrs. utility showing signal strength and quality.
Of course the problem might be interference, which can take
out all channels, in urban areas most of the conflicting
channels are in use and cell phones are everywhere.
Netstumbler (on some UK PC mags DVD issue cover disks)
will show what's around you, what channel they are using,
signal strength and S/N ratio.

Gary Karasik

Sorry that didn't work for you.

I have noticed at some locations that these wireless devices are prone to
getting scrambled by electrical glitches--momentary undervoltages and high
electrical noise levels.

--

> [...]

>> > connection
>> > is
>> > dropped and the router BECOMES INVISIBLE TO THE COMPUTER. Solution is
>> > reboot or reset router, disabling+re-enabling adaptor does not seem to
>> > work.
>> > As I said, I dont think it's a router prob either because I've used two
>> > different routers already. it MIGHT be interference I guess, but
>> > distance
>> > does no seem to be an issue...even very close comps have the problem.
>> >
>> > any suggestions on what 'channels' or bands I should use to reduce
>> > interference? Is any possibility of altering other advanced settings in
>> > order
>> > to boost the power? Any suggestions on a new router, how about the
>> > option
>> > of
>> > wireless 802.11a with its different band?

Jim

Have you tried every channel to see if this fixes your problem? If
there is an electrical inteference, this may help, what is the
transmitt speed your workstations set at? May try lowering the
transmit speed to test as well.

Cheers,
Jim

Gary Karasik wrote:
> Sorry that didn't work for you.
>
> I have noticed at some locations that these wireless devices are prone to
> getting scrambled by electrical glitches--momentary undervoltages and high
> electrical noise levels.
>
> --
>
> GaryK
>

> "Rocaveli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Restarting the windows wireless zero configuration utility (or stopping
> > then
> > starting it, as you suggest), does not make the access point reappear. It
> > seems that the only way to make it reappear is to reset or restart the
> > router.
> >

> > "Gary Karasik" wrote:
> >
> >> What works for me is a little .BAT file on the desktop that has the lines
> >>
> >> net stop "wireless zero configuration"
> >> net start "wireless zero configuration"
> >>
> >> I've trained my users to double-click that when they discover a dropped
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> GaryK
> >>

> >> "Rocaveli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

WDW WDW is offline
Junior Member

I've had a similar problem with 2 different models of D-Link USB adapter and 1 Netgear USB adapter on 2 different computers. It loses the connection then doesn't recognize the adapter and shows unknown device or mass media storage device instead.

Have you tried a PCI adapter?