Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > OT: How to reboot remote PC via VPN/Remote Desktop?

OT: How to reboot remote PC via VPN/Remote Desktop?

(PeteCresswell)

Anybody know how to reboot the remote PC via a Remote Desktop session that's
connected via VPN?

Seems like there's some keystroke combination that is the functional equivalent
of Ctl+Alt+Delete... but I can't recall it.
--
PeteCresswell

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha (PeteCresswell),

What about clicking "Start | Shutdown | Restart"?

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

> Anybody know how to reboot the remote PC via a Remote Desktop session
> that's connected via VPN?
>
> Seems like there's some keystroke combination that is the functional
> equivalent of Ctl+Alt+Delete... but I can't recall it.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Ben M. Schorr - MVP:

>What about clicking "Start | Shutdown | Restart"?

That gives me an option to disconnect and an option to logoff - but nothing to
reboot.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
>>What about

Also... I tried opening up a .CMD window and issuing:

ShutDown -r -m \\pcresswell-02.corp.seic.com

Nothing happened when I tried it in the remote session, then I tried opening up
..CMD on my home office PC and issuing it there. I suspect that was the proper
usage because it came back with "Access is denied.".
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per Ben M. Schorr - MVP:
> "Start | Shutdown | Restart"?

I think I've got it: Ctl+Alt+End.... only problem is that when I select
Shutdown/Restart, nothing happens.... -)
--
PeteCresswell

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

Click Start, Windows security, shutdown.
Unless you're an administrator - no chance to reboot the remote server
( and the shutdown choice won't appear at all )
--PA

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
> Per Ben M. Schorr - MVP:
> >
> >What about clicking "Start | Shutdown | Restart"?

> That gives me an option to disconnect and an option to logoff - but nothing to
> reboot.
> --
> PeteCresswell

Diamontina Cocktail

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per Ben M. Schorr - MVP:
>> "Start | Shutdown | Restart"?

> I think I've got it: Ctl+Alt+End.... only problem is that when I select
> Shutdown/Restart, nothing happens.... -)
> --
> PeteCresswell

Are you able to put files remotely on that machine? If so, first go to
www.grc.com and download a program called "Wizmo" from there and then send
it to the server. Put it in the WINDOWS (or however you have it named) dir.
Make a shortcut to it and put that shortcut on the desktop of the server.
Now right click and select Properties and in the "target" line it should
have C:\WINDOWS\wizmo.exe there. Change it to
C:\WINDOWS\wizmo.exe reboot! (keeping in mind to change WINDOWS to whatever
dir name you use). Now just OK that and double click on that shortcut. This
prog FORCES a reboot. You can change "reboot!" to "shutdown!" and force it
to shut down, too.

mberg mberg is offline
Junior Member

Start > Run > msconfig > OK > restart

Batch Batch is offline
Junior Member

Open a command prompt and type 'shutdown -r -t 00'

You can change the -r to -s to shutdown

staffwriter staffwriter is offline
Junior Member

I tried Batch's solution: command prompt and type 'shutdown -r -t 00'
It worked to a point: the remote computer logged off, restarted, opened a ":disclosure" page at the remote site, then started the Microsoft "Welcome"--and there it froze.
It just kept on the "Welcome" page, with an hourglass spinning, and would not advance from there. I had to call in a request for a tech to reboot the computer on the remote site.
Any thoughts?