Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to configure Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer" conected directly to the Di-524?

How to configure Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer" conected directly to the Di-524?

rjm.peters@wxs.nl

How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
I just can't find the printer on my network.
The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
Please Help with my Problem.

Lem

> How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
> conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
> I just can't find the printer on my network.
> The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
> Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
> I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
> printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
> Please Help with my Problem.

You shouldn't have to configure your router at all. You may have to
configure your computer and/or the printer.

Print a configuration page from the printer's control panel. It should
list an IP address in the same range as those of your laptops (e.g.,
192.168.1.xxx). Once you know the printer's IP address, see if you can
ping it from one of your laptops.

Then read
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm

Malke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
> conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
> I just can't find the printer on my network.
> The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
> Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
> I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
> printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
> Please Help with my Problem.

Did you install your printer on at least one of the computers? You don't
install printers to routers! Here is a link to HP's tech support site for
your printer (TinyURL'd):

http://tinyurl.com/rbxbo

There are links to all the instructions you need there.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

rjm.peters@wxs.nl

Hello Lem,

Thanks for tips.
I did print a configuration page from the printer's control panel:
Host name: NPI403580
IP Address: 10.24.40.23
Did try to ping it:
Reply from 200.217.225.96: destination net unreachable.

But the LEDs on printer and DI-524 show that the connection is made.
Do i need to open any ports on the DI-524?
Regards,
RJM Peters.

Lem schreef:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
> > conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
> > I just can't find the printer on my network.
> > The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
> > Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
> > I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
> > printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
> > Please Help with my Problem.
> >

> You shouldn't have to configure your router at all. You may have to
> configure your computer and/or the printer.
>
> Print a configuration page from the printer's control panel. It should
> list an IP address in the same range as those of your laptops (e.g.,
> 192.168.1.xxx). Once you know the printer's IP address, see if you can
> ping it from one of your laptops.
>
> Then read
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm

rjm.peters@wxs.nl

Hello Malke,
Yes I did install the printer on all the computers.
Via LTP1 it does funtion.
But I want a wireless connection vai DI-524 to my HP Lasejet 2100m with
J4169A card.
But can't find it, wenn connected to the DI-524.

Malke schreef:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
> > conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
> > I just can't find the printer on my network.
> > The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
> > Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
> > I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
> > printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
> > Please Help with my Problem.

> Did you install your printer on at least one of the computers? You don't
> install printers to routers! Here is a link to HP's tech support site for
> your printer (TinyURL'd):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/rbxbo
>
> There are links to all the instructions you need there.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello Malke,
> Yes I did install the printer on all the computers.
> Via LTP1 it does funtion.
> But I want a wireless connection vai DI-524 to my HP Lasejet 2100m
> with J4169A card.
> But can't find it, wenn connected to the DI-524.
> Did try to ping it:
> Reply from 200.217.225.96: destination net unreachable.

You also said in a previous post:

***
I did print a configuration page from the printer's control panel:
Host name: NPI403580
IP Address: 10.24.40.23
Did try to ping it:
Reply from 200.217.225.96: destination net unreachable.
***

> But the LEDs on printer and DI-524 show that the connection is made.
> Do i need to open any ports on the DI-524?

OK, I must confess to being completely baffled by your setup. The pings
and IP address don't make sense. Let's go over how a router, computers
on the local area network (lan) and any network printers should be.

First of all, most D-Link routers have a default IP address of
192.168.0.1. This means that if you are using DHCP for your computers
on the lan, they should all also get 192.168.0.xxx addresses (where the
"x's" are variable).

You should assign a static IP address to the printer and it should be
something like 192.168.0.200 - an address outside of the D-Link's
normal DHCP address range but still on the same subnet.

If you prefer to assign static IP's to your computers, you can do so.
Turn off DHCP in the D-Link and assign static IP's. Again, they must
all be in the same subnet as the router.

Once you have all this set up correctly, you then need to follow
instructions for installing the printer on the lan computers. In many
cases, this means installing the drivers from HP first. Check at the HP
link I gave you for network installation instructions. If your printer
doesn't insist on having the HP stuff installed on each computer (and a
lot of the HP all-in-ones do) you add the printer in the Add Printer
dialog in the Printers applet (Control Panel). You use the Local
Printer but you tell it to use a new port - standard TCP/IP. This will
start the TCP/IP wizard where you can put in the printer's IP address.
Finish the wizard and repeat on all computers using the printer. You
shouldn't be using LPT1 at all.

The fact that some lan-member computers connect wirelessly is
irrelevant. If your particular printer is a wireless one, follow the
instructions that came with it for setting it up.

If you don't have your lan networking set up properly, let me know and
we'll work on that aspect of it, too.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Lem

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello Lem,
>
> Thanks for tips.
> I did print a configuration page from the printer's control panel:
> Host name: NPI403580
> IP Address: 10.24.40.23
> Did try to ping it:
> Reply from 200.217.225.96: destination net unreachable.
>
> But the LEDs on printer and DI-524 show that the connection is made.
> Do i need to open any ports on the DI-524?
> Regards,
> RJM Peters.
>
> Lem schreef:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>How do I need to configure my Di-524 to find my "Ethernet Printer"
>>>conected directly to the Di-524 wifi router?
>>>I just can't find the printer on my network.
>>>The LEDS of the Ethernet connection on the Di-524 and the HP2100-m
>>>Ethernet Printer are showing that I have connection.
>>>I'm only using wifi connections with Laptops, so I need to connect the
>>>printer direct to the Di-524 Router.
>>>Please Help with my Problem.
>>>

>>You shouldn't have to configure your router at all. You may have to
>>configure your computer and/or the printer.
>>
>>Print a configuration page from the printer's control panel. It should
>>list an IP address in the same range as those of your laptops (e.g.,
>>192.168.1.xxx). Once you know the printer's IP address, see if you can
>>ping it from one of your laptops.
>>
>>Then read
>>http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm

Forget about messing around with the router. That's the least of your
problems. Follow Malke's advice.

One additional thing you should do -- which will help anyone here help
you -- is open a command prompt on each computer connected to your
router (via wire or wireless) and enter the command "ipconfig /all"
(without quotes).

In your next post, list, for each computer, its IP address, its subnet,
its default gateway, and its DHCP server. Also indicate if DHCP is
enabled or not enabled for each computer.

flowstarr flowstarr is offline
Junior Member

Hello. I just bought a di-524 and i seem to have a silly problem with it.i follow the quick steps and after i connect the internet cable it gives me an error message: check ethernet connection to computer and power connection. If i plug the utp cable directly to my pci card, it works just fine. i must mention that i don`t have a modem installed in my house, the internet cable comes directly from a switch installed on the hallway of the appartment building.
Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, can anyone help me?
Best regards