Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking only works one way

Networking only works one way

Blair

I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an Ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktop but the other way |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the possible settings I can't get any further.
I have turned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Malke

Blair wrote:

> I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the
> desktop can see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a
> message Home is not available. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource. The network path was not found.
> The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an Ethernet
> connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktop but the other way |I
> get Timed out.
> I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and
> although I have looked at all the possible settings I can't get any
> further. I have turned off both XPs Firewall
> What can be causing this?
> Blair

This has nothing to do with the fact that one machine connects
wirelessly and the other connects wired. You've got something set
incorrectly, possibly an overlooked third-party firewall. Here is the
usual blurb:

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Blair

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blair wrote:
>
>> I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the
>> desktop can see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a
>> message Home is not available. You might not have permission to use
>> this network resource. The network path was not found.
>> The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an Ethernet
>> connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktop but the other way |I
>> get Timed out.
>> I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and
>> although I have looked at all the possible settings I can't get any
>> further. I have turned off both XPs Firewall
>> What can be causing this?
>> Blair

> This has nothing to do with the fact that one machine connects
> wirelessly and the other connects wired. You've got something set
> incorrectly, possibly an overlooked third-party firewall. Here is the
> usual blurb:
>
> This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
> Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
> Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
> on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
> firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
> Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
> third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
> Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
> IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
> substitute your correct subnet.
>
> If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:
>
> a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
> accounts/passwords on all computers.
>
> b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
> Simple File Sharing enabled.
>
> Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
> that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
> resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
> matters in your situation.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
> Shared Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
> trouble-shooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
> http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for your help
I have made sure that XP Firewall is off and I have disabled all my anti
virus programmes
I did not realise that when I made all my 4 partitions able to share that it
didn't apply automatically to the folders they contain
Some of my partitions have about 30 folders and it would appear very
labourious to have to do each one individually, I tried to use select all
but
I then could not access the sharing command.
I am now going to work through the trouble-shooter you mentioned. Will let
you know the result
Regards
Blair

Malke

Blair wrote:

> Thanks for your help
> I have made sure that XP Firewall is off and I have disabled all my
> anti virus programmes
> I did not realise that when I made all my 4 partitions able to share
> that it didn't apply automatically to the folders they contain
> Some of my partitions have about 30 folders and it would appear very
> labourious to have to do each one individually, I tried to use select
> all but
> I then could not access the sharing command.
> I am now going to work through the trouble-shooter you mentioned.

If you want to share items in a folder, go to the parent folder and set
your sharing there. I believe there's a checkbox that says to share all
items in the directory. I don't have a Windows machine on right now to
check, but if you look around you'll find it.

Malke