Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connected but can't ping router or surf!

Connected but can't ping router or surf!

Bura

I have 2 XP computers and one laptop. Using an SMC Barricade wireless
router on ADSL. One PC connected to router by LAN cable, other PC
wireless, both connected and on the internet no problem. The laptop
connects fine through LAN cable to router and I can surf. WIrelessly I
can connect to the router and see shared files on both computers, but
can't surf! Also, it times out when I ping the router! I'm using DHCP.
Have tried static IP and same problem. Also uninstalled and
reinstalled the wireless network card. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Alejandro Segura Cernas

1.Did you check the Security Profile used in the Router and Laptop. Are the
same? i.e.: Security Mode (WEP, WPA), WPA Algorithms (AES or TKIP), WPA
Shared Key (like Password)?

2.Did you try to check any firmware for the Router and any update referring
to Wireless for the laptop? To me seems a Router software issue (firmware).

--
Alejadro Segura
Cisco CCNA
"Bura" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have 2 XP computers and one laptop. Using an SMC Barricade wireless
> router on ADSL. One PC connected to router by LAN cable, other PC
> wireless, both connected and on the internet no problem. The laptop
> connects fine through LAN cable to router and I can surf. WIrelessly I
> can connect to the router and see shared files on both computers, but
> can't surf! Also, it times out when I ping the router! I'm using DHCP.
> Have tried static IP and same problem. Also uninstalled and
> reinstalled the wireless network card. Any ideas?
> Thanks.

Bura

Yes,
The key is correct, and the thing is that I can easily connect to the
router, and share files with all the computers on the network through
the router wirelessly, I just can't get on the internet. The firmware
is up to date on the router.