Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Corporate Wireless Recommendations Please

Corporate Wireless Recommendations Please

TheScullster

Hi all

We currently have a "standard" MS network comprising:

Win2003 Server DHCP (file/print)
Win2003 + Exchange 2003 Server
Approx 30 XP clients

Internet/email comms is via ISA server and Nokia router/Checkpoint firewall.
Existing lan is all hard wired.

We have irregular visits from associate company employees who could do with
wireless internet access.

AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
device.

So my questions are:

Having no knowledge whatever of these devices - what access point would the
group recommend and why?
How compatible would the recommended device be with the different wireless
capable laptops - will older laptops work with new access point?
What security measures should be in place for this device?

Thanks to anyone who can help clear the muddy waters for me

Phil

[Apologies for xpost from general networking group]

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
For mid level hardware look at the Proxim line,
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/
For Top of the line the Cisco,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...pos=1#number_1
If your assessment of the need, and budgetary consideration call for Entry
Level Hardware, this might help, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"TheScullster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>

> We currently have a "standard" MS network comprising:
>
> Win2003 Server DHCP (file/print)
> Win2003 + Exchange 2003 Server
> Approx 30 XP clients
>
> Internet/email comms is via ISA server and Nokia router/Checkpoint
> firewall.
> Existing lan is all hard wired.
>
> We have irregular visits from associate company employees who could do
> with
> wireless internet access.
>
> AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
> assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
> Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
> device.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Having no knowledge whatever of these devices - what access point would
> the
> group recommend and why?
> How compatible would the recommended device be with the different wireless
> capable laptops - will older laptops work with new access point?
> What security measures should be in place for this device?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help clear the muddy waters for me
>
> Phil
>

> [Apologies for xpost from general networking group]

Frankster

Because you want to be able to control these "visitors" differently than the
rest of your users, personally, rather than a simple Access Point (which
otherwise would have been my choice), I would install at least a
wired/wireless router and put them on a separate network. Preferably a
"Router" that has decent firewall capabilities. Or, better yet, a real
firewall. Just IMHO.

As for your questions...

- No particular model of WAP is superior in my opinion. If you need lots of
distance go with one of the newer "MIMO" devices (more power - I *think* I
spelled that right) LOL.

- Since your visitors are unknown, you will probably have to install a fully
backward compatible model. All the new models I believe support the older
wireless cards. You will have to configure to allow that.

- Because you will have to configure your wireless security in the WAP to
the lowest common denominator of authentication (for your unknown
connections - you don't know what their cards are capable of), your WAP
security will have to be set at the least effective. Another reason this
should/could be controlled with an actual firewall.

-Frank

"TheScullster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>

> We currently have a "standard" MS network comprising:
>
> Win2003 Server DHCP (file/print)
> Win2003 + Exchange 2003 Server
> Approx 30 XP clients
>
> Internet/email comms is via ISA server and Nokia router/Checkpoint
> firewall.
> Existing lan is all hard wired.
>
> We have irregular visits from associate company employees who could do
> with
> wireless internet access.
>
> AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
> assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
> Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
> device.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Having no knowledge whatever of these devices - what access point would
> the
> group recommend and why?
> How compatible would the recommended device be with the different wireless
> capable laptops - will older laptops work with new access point?
> What security measures should be in place for this device?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help clear the muddy waters for me
>
> Phil
>

> [Apologies for xpost from general networking group]

Frankster

> AIUI, it is possible to plug a wireless access point into the router, but
> assign an ip address to the access point outside our internal lan ranger.
> Then set rules on the firewall to allow internet access out from this
> device.

Forgot to mention... a true Wireless Access Point does not require an IP to
operate (although they often can be configured/accessed initially using
one - or USB, etc). The point is that WAP functionality does not really
allow assigning IPs to itself or to clients (DHCP). In order to do that you
would need a Router (with wireless capability), not a WAP. Many (most? all?)
of today's wireless Routers can be configured either as a Router or as a
simple WAP. Although, personally, if only a WAP is required, I prefer to buy
a WAP. Think of a WAP as nothing but a receiver/transmitter that
receives/sends everything, both ways. That's it. Just like a switch, but
wireless.

-Frank