Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > SMCWPCI-G-CA Wireless LAN, XP and freezing

SMCWPCI-G-CA Wireless LAN, XP and freezing

SEFL

Hi there,

I'm trying desperately to get a wireless NIC inside of a machine that
just keeps freezing for no particular reason.

Here's what I tried and have determined:

No error message in Event Viewer.

No IRQ conflicts.

The power settings for the NIC have been changed from Normal to Maximum

to Off (the only three it has).

I disabled Wireless Zero in services to get rid of the EAPOL error in
Event Viewer. This got the machine to hang in about half an hour
instead of within the first two minutes.

Unseated/reseated the network card.

Updated my BIOS according to the instructions given to me by Asus
(P4VP-MX motherboard, although for some strange reason it still seems
to show an old BIOS version in DOS but reports it fine in the WinFlash
utility they gave me?!?!?)

Tried another NIC (same one).

Changed the PCI latency timer.

Not really sure what else to try.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try a USB Wireless instead.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"SEFL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying desperately to get a wireless NIC inside of a machine that
> just keeps freezing for no particular reason.
>
> Here's what I tried and have determined:
>
> No error message in Event Viewer.
>
> No IRQ conflicts.
>
> The power settings for the NIC have been changed from Normal to Maximum
>
> to Off (the only three it has).
>
> I disabled Wireless Zero in services to get rid of the EAPOL error in
> Event Viewer. This got the machine to hang in about half an hour
> instead of within the first two minutes.
>
> Unseated/reseated the network card.
>
> Updated my BIOS according to the instructions given to me by Asus
> (P4VP-MX motherboard, although for some strange reason it still seems
> to show an old BIOS version in DOS but reports it fine in the WinFlash
> utility they gave me?!?!?)
>
> Tried another NIC (same one).
>
> Changed the PCI latency timer.
>
> Not really sure what else to try.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pavel A.

Try to disable any hardware acceleration of your video adapter
in the video properties -> troubleshoot
(temporary, to see if this prevents the freeze)

--PA