Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't get Netbios to run over TC/PIP on XP Home - please help

Can't get Netbios to run over TC/PIP on XP Home - please help

BigJoe

Hi all,

I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
router by cable.)

I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.

When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.

Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=

BigJoe:

I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
out why yet, but I'm networked.

Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
sharing" to test if these are the issues??

After that, it might take 20 or more minutes to show up in Netweork places.
I manually added them in via Network place->add a Network place

There'a also a command NBTSTAT, (NBTSTAT /? for all the switches) that can
tell you what the PC's are broadcasting to each other on the network, IP
address, names etc.

"BigJoe" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
> desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
> adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
> with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
> router by cable.)
>
> I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
> laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
> workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.
>
> When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
> tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
> ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.
>
> Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Joe

BigJoe

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:58:01 -0700, FrankChin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BigJoe:

Wow - that was a quick reply! Thank you.

>I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
>out why yet, but I'm networked.
>
>Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
>sharing" to test if these are the issues??

Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.

>After that, it might take 20 or more minutes to show up in Netweork places.
>I manually added them in via Network place->add a Network place
>
>There'a also a command NBTSTAT, (NBTSTAT /? for all the switches) that can
>tell you what the PC's are broadcasting to each other on the network, IP
>address, names etc.
>

>"BigJoe" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
>> desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
>> adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
>> with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
>> router by cable.)
>>
>> I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
>> laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
>> workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.
>>
>> When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
>> tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
>> ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.
>>
>> Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Joe

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=

Big Joe:

Maybe this would help:

http://www.chicagotech.net/netbios&wins.htm

"BigJoe" wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:58:01 -0700, FrankChin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >BigJoe:

> Wow - that was a quick reply! Thank you.
> >
> >I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
> >out why yet, but I'm networked.
> >
> >Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
> >sharing" to test if these are the issues??

> Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
> Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
> be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
> admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.
> >
> >After that, it might take 20 or more minutes to show up in Netweork places.
> >I manually added them in via Network place->add a Network place
> >
> >There'a also a command NBTSTAT, (NBTSTAT /? for all the switches) that can
> >tell you what the PC's are broadcasting to each other on the network, IP
> >address, names etc.
> >

> >"BigJoe" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
> >> desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
> >> adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
> >> with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
> >> router by cable.)
> >>
> >> I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
> >> laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
> >> workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.
> >>
> >> When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
> >> tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
> >> ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.
> >>
> >> Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> Joe

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=

Another article on your problem

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...indows-XP.html

"BigJoe" wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:58:01 -0700, FrankChin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >BigJoe:

> Wow - that was a quick reply! Thank you.
> >
> >I got TCP/IP turned on yet showed disabled in IPCOFIG/all. Haven't figured
> >out why yet, but I'm networked.
> >
> >Did you turn off all firewalls, and turn on "file sharing" and "print
> >sharing" to test if these are the issues??

> Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
> Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
> be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
> admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.
> >
> >After that, it might take 20 or more minutes to show up in Netweork places.
> >I manually added them in via Network place->add a Network place
> >
> >There'a also a command NBTSTAT, (NBTSTAT /? for all the switches) that can
> >tell you what the PC's are broadcasting to each other on the network, IP
> >address, names etc.
> >

> >"BigJoe" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a Linksys WAG54GS adsl modem/router with a centrino laptop, a
> >> desktop pc also connected wirelessly using a Linksys wireless usb
> >> adapter. (There is also a Slim Devices Squeezebox connected wirelessly
> >> with the desktop acting as a server and an xbox 360 connected to the
> >> router by cable.)
> >>
> >> I have been unable to network the desktop. I can ping it from the
> >> laptop but only the laptop shows up in the MShome workgroup. The
> >> workgroup shows empty on the desktop machine.
> >>
> >> When I run ipconfig /all on the desktop it shows that netbios over
> >> tcpip is disabled despite my having enabled it for the wireless and
> >> ethernet connections. I guess this is why the desktop won't network.
> >>
> >> Has anyone come across this before? Is there a solution?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> Joe

Diamontina Cocktail

"BigJoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, tried all that. I'm sure it's down to netbios not running.
> Nbtstat just tells me "Failed to access NetBT driver -- NetBT may not
> be loaded". According to MS website this is due to user not having
> admin rights which is not the case. This is starting to drive me nuts.

FYI, if I want a networked share showing up in My Network Places quickly, I
load a browser and enter the IP address of the computer with the share which
isn't currently showing up. Eg, if 192.168.0.34 has a share that isn't
showing, I enter \\192.168.0.34 into the browser. Remember, the slashes are
\ way not / way. That brings up all shares on that machine, assuming it is
properly configured and no firewall is blocking it AND it does it right then
and there.