Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Error message about Win2000 Server in XP Pro system

Error message about Win2000 Server in XP Pro system

=?Utf-8?B?bWFkdWNl?=

I am having trouble browsing with IE 6.0 Win XP Pro SP2. Have wireless router
with 3 computers, but have made no attempt to network these. I got a message
in the Event Viewer today that says in part:

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
TOSHIBA-USER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B20EEE5C-5324-4. The master browser is stopping or an
election is being forced."

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003

I am directed to the Windows 2000 Server Support site - a complete mystery
to me as this is all within my home. I am further concerned since the Tohiba
User is my wife (we are online at the same time), also running XP Pro and
IE6.0 and there is no network intentionally set up between these two
computers and no Server2000 ever installed on any computer. I am concerned
about an intrusion. tAnyone ever see this?

Chuck

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

wrote:

>I am having trouble browsing with IE 6.0 Win XP Pro SP2. Have wireless router
>with 3 computers, but have made no attempt to network these. I got a message
>in the Event Viewer today that says in part:
>
>"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
>TOSHIBA-USER that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
>transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B20EEE5C-5324-4. The master browser is stopping or an
>election is being forced."
>
>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: MRxSmb
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 8003
>
>I am directed to the Windows 2000 Server Support site - a complete mystery
>to me as this is all within my home. I am further concerned since the Tohiba
>User is my wife (we are online at the same time), also running XP Pro and
>IE6.0 and there is no network intentionally set up between these two
>computers and no Server2000 ever installed on any computer. I am concerned
>about an intrusion. tAnyone ever see this?

Master browser elections are a normal part of Windows Networking. If you see
this message frequently, that might indicate a problem. Occasionally seeing
this indicates a computer coming online, or going offline. With WiFi, I'd
expect to see this regularly.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

It's probably not an intrusion anyway. Just your computers deciding who gets to
be in charge. Run browstat from each computer, and compare the results.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...microsoft.html