Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Clearing the DNS cache

Clearing the DNS cache

=?Utf-8?B?TFBNT1JHQU4=?=

This is failing any time I use the REPAIR for my wireless.
It also fails when when I use IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS.

I found a KB artticle (919746), but attempting to retrieve it gives me the
NOT AVAILABLE message.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--
LPMORGAN

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
these steps.
Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure
that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No IRQ
conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
instructions for Windows Network
Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is failing any time I use the REPAIR for my wireless.
> It also fails when when I use IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS.
>
> I found a KB artticle (919746), but attempting to retrieve it gives me the
> NOT AVAILABLE message.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> --
> LPMORGAN

=?Utf-8?B?TFBNT1JHQU4=?=

The computer network functions fine.
The DNS cache is the only issue I have found.
--
LPMORGAN

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
> these steps.
> Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure
> that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No IRQ
> conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
> instructions for Windows Network
> Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is failing any time I use the REPAIR for my wireless.
> > It also fails when when I use IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS.
> >
> > I found a KB artticle (919746), but attempting to retrieve it gives me the
> > NOT AVAILABLE message.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > LPMORGAN

RalfG

There is a setting in Comodo firewall which will block that. Other security
software might have something similar (monitoring DNS), though I haven't run
into it with the other firewalls I've tried.

"LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The computer network functions fine.
> The DNS cache is the only issue I have found.
> --
> LPMORGAN
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
>> these steps.
>> Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure
>> that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No
>> IRQ
>> conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
>> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
>> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates
>> that
>> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
>> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock,
>> and
>> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
>> If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
>> instructions for Windows Network
>> Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > This is failing any time I use the REPAIR for my wireless.
>> > It also fails when when I use IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS.
>> >
>> > I found a KB artticle (919746), but attempting to retrieve it gives me
>> > the
>> > NOT AVAILABLE message.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>> >
>> > --
>> > LPMORGAN

=?Utf-8?B?TFBNT1JHQU4=?=

I have started using Comodo.
I will check it out.
--
LPMORGAN

"RalfG" wrote:

> There is a setting in Comodo firewall which will block that. Other security
> software might have something similar (monitoring DNS), though I haven't run
> into it with the other firewalls I've tried.
>
> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The computer network functions fine.
> > The DNS cache is the only issue I have found.
> > --
> > LPMORGAN
> >

> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
> >> these steps.
> >> Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure
> >> that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No
> >> IRQ
> >> conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> >> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> >> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates
> >> that
> >> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> >> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock,
> >> and
> >> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> >> If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
> >> instructions for Windows Network
> >> Installation -http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

RalfG

I ran into the same symptom the first time I tried to repair my wireless
connection after installing Comodo. There is a settings page in Comodo with
a number of options that are simply checked on or off, with the default
being ON for most of them. Monitoring DNS causes the problem with repairing
the wireless connection and monitoring DLLs can cause problems running
software, ie. some games. Unchecking the option allows the repair to
complete normally. Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment because I've
already uninstalled the firewall.

"LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have started using Comodo.
> I will check it out.
> --
> LPMORGAN
>

> "RalfG" wrote:
>
>> There is a setting in Comodo firewall which will block that. Other
>> security
>> software might have something similar (monitoring DNS), though I haven't
>> run
>> into it with the other firewalls I've tried.
>>
>> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The computer network functions fine.
>> > The DNS cache is the only issue I have found.
>> > --
>> > LPMORGAN

=?Utf-8?B?TFBNT1JHQU4=?=

Thanks RalfG.

Once you put me on to it, I joined a Comodo forum and posted the question.
Someone suggested disabling "Security->Advanced->Monitor DNS requests" can
solve this problem. I tried it and found it worked.

You put me on the trail to the answer.

Comodo is a pretty good free firewall for a frequent traveler.
--
LPMORGAN

"RalfG" wrote:

> I ran into the same symptom the first time I tried to repair my wireless
> connection after installing Comodo. There is a settings page in Comodo with
> a number of options that are simply checked on or off, with the default
> being ON for most of them. Monitoring DNS causes the problem with repairing
> the wireless connection and monitoring DLLs can cause problems running
> software, ie. some games. Unchecking the option allows the repair to
> complete normally. Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment because I've
> already uninstalled the firewall.
>
> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have started using Comodo.
> > I will check it out.
> > --
> > LPMORGAN
> >

> > "RalfG" wrote:
> >
> >> There is a setting in Comodo firewall which will block that. Other
> >> security
> >> software might have something similar (monitoring DNS), though I haven't
> >> run
> >> into it with the other firewalls I've tried.
> >>
> >> "LPMORGAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cache clearing upon app shutdown Micha³ Januszczyk ASP .Net 0 06-30-2005 09:52 PM
Cache clearing deletes saved form info and history. Anyway not to have this happen? Jim Firefox 4 05-05-2005 06:15 AM
clearing form/page cache =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= ASP .Net 3 02-14-2005 11:15 PM
Firefox cache clearing pd Firefox 3 01-18-2005 07:10 PM
Clearing cache for an individual page when using URL rewriting Robert via DotNetMonster.com ASP .Net 0 12-21-2004 03:48 PM

Advertisments