Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > occasional interrupts & DPCs consume all CPU?

occasional interrupts & DPCs consume all CPU?

anon

anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start consuming
every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%. I know
it's the wireless connection, since disabling it stops the
problem. Like i said, it's just 'sometimes' -- for
instance, right now, everything's good. I can't pin it on
some particular activity. I don't use the Belkin drivers,
but the generic Atheros AR5005G driver v.4.2.0.82.

i'm just wondering if this is a common issue? It's very
irritating. Reality is that there are only a few chipset
vendors, so many other brands would have the same chip &
same base driver (i suspect most make almost no changes
aside from cosmetic to the base reference driver). Or
anyone know if this is specific to Atheros-based stuff and
I'd be better off with Ralink-based stuff, Broadcom, etc.?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"anon" wrote:
> anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
> Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
> interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start consuming
> every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

--PA

anon

>> anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
>> Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
>> interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start
>> consuming
>> every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

> Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

hi pavel, thanks for replying.

it's on irq 9, which also has a PCI USB 2.0 card on it and
the integrated Intel USB chipset support (v.1.1)... i
thought all this was moot with ACPI stuff? i haven't
dealt or cared with irqs in a long time! Right now, the
only thing in the USB card is a flash drive, which i
regularly add & remove. I don't really do anything with
the UFD, it's only to use a program called Pass2Go that i
load upon plugging in -- after that, no access. It's in
now, & my CPU use is negligible. I actually experimented
with this to see if it was the source of the issues, but
there didn't seem to be any correlation.

like i said, it's seemingly random, though i know it's
really not & something is occurring, just not sure what..

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"anon" wrote:
> >> anyone else have this? I have a desktop PC that has a
> >> Belkin F5D7000 PCI card in it, and sometimes hardware
> >> interrupts & deferred procedure calls will start
> >> consuming
> >> every bit of CPU, & it'll stay spiked at 100%.

> > Which other devices are sharing same irq with this card?

> hi pavel, thanks for replying.
>
> it's on irq 9, which also has a PCI USB 2.0 card on it and
> the integrated Intel USB chipset support (v.1.1)... i
> thought all this was moot with ACPI stuff? i haven't
> dealt or cared with irqs in a long time! Right now, the
> only thing in the USB card is a flash drive, which i
> regularly add & remove. I don't really do anything with
> the UFD, it's only to use a program called Pass2Go that i
> load upon plugging in -- after that, no access. It's in
> now, & my CPU use is negligible. I actually experimented
> with this to see if it was the source of the issues, but
> there didn't seem to be any correlation.
>
> like i said, it's seemingly random, though i know it's
> really not & something is occurring, just not sure what..

Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going here. Since your mobo
has usb 1.1, it should be not a new one... so maybe a BIOS
update can help.
Why you don't use the driver supplied by Belkin?
Does it have same problem?

Good luck,
--PA

anon

> Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going here. Since your
> mobo
> has usb 1.1, it should be not a new one... so maybe a
> BIOS
> update can help.
> Why you don't use the driver supplied by Belkin?
> Does it have same problem?

everything is current in that regard. Yeah, it's
older -- it's one i built back in spring 2001.

Belkin never bothers updating anything.... they generally
ship whatever reference stuff came from the OEM at the
time, even though it may be full of bugs. That's no
different than most other vendors, but at least others
will release updates as the OEM fixes things. Belkin do
not do that, for whatever reason.

It's interesting -- i've had two different revisions of
this same card -- 1st one died & was replaced under
warranty. It was a rev. 3001 of my model, which used a
Ralink chipset, and newer drivers straight from Ralink
were much more stable. Belkin replaced it with the rev.
5000 model, which is Atheros-based. And the later Atheros
drivers are much more stable. In neither case were the
more stable drivers later made available for download on
Belkin's site. I even use Linksys WRT54GX v.1.0 firmware
on my Belkin Pre-N router because it's much more stable
than that which came from Belkin!

i suffered way too many disconnects with the supplied
drivers. So i found much newer ones written by the
chipset vendor and the stability issues went away. I
actually haven't even had the interrupt issue hit in the
last few days... like i said it's only sometimes. It
comes & goes & i might go 2 weeks without it. But when it
hits, it's a killer. Makes me want to toss the PC out the
window.

Pavel A.

Why to toss the whole PC out of window? throw away only the WLAN card.
Not all hardware is born equal. There are reputable companies that stand behind
their products, and others who don't. You, the customer, have right to decide.
Now you know why it was so cheap at Belkin...

--PA

"anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going here. Since your mobo
>> has usb 1.1, it should be not a new one... so maybe a BIOS
>> update can help.
>> Why you don't use the driver supplied by Belkin?
>> Does it have same problem?

> everything is current in that regard. Yeah, it's older -- it's one i built back in spring 2001.
>
> Belkin never bothers updating anything.... they generally ship whatever reference stuff came from the OEM at the time, even
> though it may be full of bugs. That's no different than most other vendors, but at least others will release updates as the
> OEM fixes things. Belkin do not do that, for whatever reason.
>
> It's interesting -- i've had two different revisions of this same card -- 1st one died & was replaced under warranty. It was
> a rev. 3001 of my model, which used a Ralink chipset, and newer drivers straight from Ralink were much more stable. Belkin
> replaced it with the rev. 5000 model, which is Atheros-based. And the later Atheros drivers are much more stable. In neither
> case were the more stable drivers later made available for download on Belkin's site. I even use Linksys WRT54GX v.1.0
> firmware on my Belkin Pre-N router because it's much more stable than that which came from Belkin!
>
> i suffered way too many disconnects with the supplied drivers. So i found much newer ones written by the chipset vendor and
> the stability issues went away. I actually haven't even had the interrupt issue hit in the last few days... like i said it's
> only sometimes. It comes & goes & i might go 2 weeks without it. But when it hits, it's a killer. Makes me want to toss the
> PC out the window.

consume local web service -ok consume remote service - Not OK dgleeson422111 ASP .Net Web Services 2 01-31-2010 08:02 PM
Does Power Supply consume watts all the time? dwkerschen@gmail.com Computer Information 2 06-14-2007 05:08 AM
MicroBlaze User Peripheral with 2 interrupts Ciaran VHDL 12 02-27-2004 01:37 PM
Interrupts in VB (API) D.Sn ASP .Net 2 01-12-2004 03:56 PM
trying to consume a webservice with dotnet, but all numbers in the result are converted to zero Ross ASP .Net Web Services 0 07-15-2003 02:03 PM

Advertisments