Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Sharing Not Working

File Sharing Not Working

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

I set up a wireless home network: Linksys Wireless-G Router, Desktop Computer
(ethernet to router), Notebook (wireless), both XP Home. I can access the
internet from the notebook , and the notebook can print on the printer hooked
to the desktop. I can see the notebook from the desktop under "View
Workgroup" computers, but cannot access the notebook - error message "Network
Path Not Found". Pinging the notebook brings no results.

From the laptop, I can see the desktop, but cannot access - error message
"Access is denied". I can successfully ping the desktop.

Any suggestions?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I set up a wireless home network: Linksys Wireless-G Router, Desktop
>Computer
> (ethernet to router), Notebook (wireless), both XP Home. I can access the
> internet from the notebook , and the notebook can print on the printer
> hooked
> to the desktop. I can see the notebook from the desktop under "View
> Workgroup" computers, but cannot access the notebook - error message
> "Network
> Path Not Found". Pinging the notebook brings no results.
>
> From the laptop, I can see the desktop, but cannot access - error message
> "Access is denied". I can successfully ping the desktop.
>
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

I resolved one issue - I can "see" folders on the notebook from the desktop.
That was accomplished by adjusting firewall settings on the notebook.

I did not read anything in those articles about the 2nd problem: When
trying to connect from the notebook to the desktop, I get an "Access Denied"
error message.

Any hints on this?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed
> to be shared.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I set up a wireless home network: Linksys Wireless-G Router, Desktop
> >Computer
> > (ethernet to router), Notebook (wireless), both XP Home. I can access the
> > internet from the notebook , and the notebook can print on the printer
> > hooked
> > to the desktop. I can see the notebook from the desktop under "View
> > Workgroup" computers, but cannot access the notebook - error message
> > "Network
> > Path Not Found". Pinging the notebook brings no results.
> >
> > From the laptop, I can see the desktop, but cannot access - error message
> > "Access is denied". I can successfully ping the desktop.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Diamontina Cocktail

news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I resolved one issue - I can "see" folders on the notebook from the
>desktop.
> That was accomplished by adjusting firewall settings on the notebook.
>
> I did not read anything in those articles about the 2nd problem: When
> trying to connect from the notebook to the desktop, I get an "Access
> Denied"
> error message.
>
> Any hints on this?

If you have the same name and password for an account on the machine you are
at as the machine you are trying to reach over the network, the machine the
other end will query who you are and your machine will supply your local
logon details to the other machine to try to get on. If your username is,
for example, "Jack" on both machines but the password is different on both,
that is why you will get access denied. The easiest thing to do is have the
same username and password on each machine, have each machine turned on and
logged on to that username/password on each machine.