Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Status of P1076-200X.

Status of P1076-200X.

reuven

Hi all,

I noticed that Peter Ashenden submitted a document titled
P1076-2006-D3.0 on the accellera web site . Is this document going to
be submitted to the IEEE for standard approval? If so, based on
experience, when will the IEEE approve this updated IEEE-1076?

regards,

David Bishop

reuven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that Peter Ashenden submitted a document titled
> P1076-2006-D3.0 on the accellera web site . Is this document going to
> be submitted to the IEEE for standard approval? If so, based on
> experience, when will the IEEE approve this updated IEEE-1076?

That's the plan. We still have a few small things to work out, but this
seems to be the working document.

I'm building a vhdl-93 compatible version of all of the new packages
which I will be posting soon.

reuven

David,

Thanks for the quick response and i hope to try the 93 compatible
packages as soon as they are available. Can you give a ballpark
estimate on when this will become an official standard and when the EDA
companies ( especially Modeltech , this is not an endorsement of this
tool) will add support into their tools?

regards,

Lance Thompson

Hi All!

It just so happens that the Accellera Board approved P1076-2006 D3.0 on
26 July, 2006 at DAC. So, in a way, it is now official, but only as an
Accellera standard. We (the Accellera VHDL Technical Committee) will be
working with the IEEE to determine when to move it through the IEEE
process. Since there are a lot of new and fairly complicate extensions,
it is felt that a trial implementation period might be advisable.

Here is just a small sampling of the new features:
PSL integration
IP Protection mechanisms
generic packages
unary functions
expressions on in mode ports
fixed and floating point packages

By the way, there is also a P1076c-2006 D2.4a (also Accellera approved)
that has already been released to the IEEE, but it only integrates VHPI.

As to when will vendors implement the new features, that depends on you,
the users of VHDL. Call up your vendor and express your interest in the
new features and some kind of priority.

Cheers,
Lance Thompson
IBM, Senior Engineer
Accellera VHDL Technical Committee, Chairman