Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Standard Cisco MIB/OID For Port Duplex Information?

Standard Cisco MIB/OID For Port Duplex Information?

Jim McDonald

Hi,
I'm trying to monitor a range of Cisco switches but have hit problems when
attempting to get port duplex state and was wondering if there is a single MIB
that I can use to get this information rather than looking at switch-specific
MIBs.

I started off with a 2950, obtaining port information as available from
RFC1213 but it didn't have duplex information. For duplex information it
appeared that I head to go to the separate CISCO-C2900-MIB, but given it's name
I am worried that it doesn't exist on the other switches. Is this MIB just
badly named and is available everywhere else, or is there a specific MIB buried
somewhere in the few hundred out there that are supported by all switches and
have the information that I'm after?

Cheers,
Jim.
--
Jim McDonald - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Andre Beck

"Jim McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm trying to monitor a range of Cisco switches but have hit problems when
> attempting to get port duplex state and was wondering if there is a single MIB
> that I can use to get this information rather than looking at switch-specific
> MIBs.

Probably not. Even Cisco's own CiscoWorks 2k LMS fails on correctly
detecting (besides other things) duplex state of certain switches ports,
releasing all sorts of false alarms. So that really looks like there is
no *single* and *reliable* way to request it. Then again, maybe they just
can't code (and exactly for that reason chose Java). The CW2k LMS sometimes
leaves a strong taste of that, at last.

--
The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-