Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox/Windows Media Player plug-in error

Firefox/Windows Media Player plug-in error

Leroy Johnson Leroy Johnson is offline
Junior Member

I keep on getting an error when opening a wmv file online from any site using any browser. I get this error:

Illegal Operation in Plugin
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox (or IE or Netscape, etc.).

OR it will say:

Mozilla ActiveX control and plug-in support error
The plugin performed an illegal operation...restart the browser.

I've re-installed Media Player, checked my plug-ins, enabled Javascript, and basically all the stuff the Mozilla help site has on it. It's Firefox 1.5.0.4.

I'm running Windows XP, SP 2 with latest updates. Programs running are usually just Firefox and Yahoo Widget Engine. The websites can be any, it happens on every site that has either an embedded WMP file or a link to a wmv file. Windows Media Player is 11, but it did the same thing when I had version 10 installed. And the version of Java 1.5.06.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks...